Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I thought the beginning of the book was a little slow, but then I really got into it. I'm excited to see what the author does in the sequel. It was an interesting sci-fi.
Mac :techie-reference:
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

I am giving this book a 3 out of 4 because while it is an interesting read I don't like it cause it is slow but will recommend to others
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Although the first few chapters were slow they did a good job of building up the rest of the story. Normally I do not like science fiction, but I enjoyed this book and would read more like it.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

Zona: The Forbidden Land is a spectacular novel about Dr. Grant Taylor who ventures into The Forbidden Land in search of his Uncle, who is presumed dead. As the journey unfolds, Dr. Grant and his group find themselves facing various obstacles. From vicious animals to ravenous warriors to a mysterious culture, this book will surely keep you engaged.

I strongly recommend this book for readers who fancy genres like science-fiction and fantasy. Children should avoid this book as their is direct sexual reference.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

The beginning had started to feel like it could be turned into a movie. Trying to think of actors play Grant.. Some well known and moderately knowns come to mind 😊
Started to get a little slow. If I was turning it into a movie there might be some changes...and I don't always like when books get changed a lot for movies. I understand it does sometimes have to happen. Thoughts?
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

The book was a wonderful read except for the beginning which started a little bit dull. But I'm glad the author made up for it with the remaining path of the book filled with lots of adventure and interesting plots.
Joan642
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joan642.html
Latest Review: Inspirations by Colleen by Colleen Bruce

Post by Joan642 »

An amazing adventurous novel. I didn't mind the pace at all but it started becoming too unbelievable after the first four chapters.
Book Lover7
Currently Reading: Crown on Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover7.html
Latest Review: The Light of the Dying by Michelle Reynoso

Post by Book Lover7 »

I just started to read this book. It seems really interesting to me.
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

This is was an entertaining read, however the setting was a bit slow and the first few chapters were somewhat boring. I like when authors take time to build up the setting and the character development before setting the pace. However, this being a fantasy novel, I thought it was a bit over doing. The second part of the book was quite interesting and I liked the way the tension buildup and the action scenes. I am looking forward to the sequel of the novel which the author has mentioned. :tiphat:
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

EudoraMac wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 05:39 Finally wrapped this up...and I have to start believing myself when I say I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi novels.
They're great as movies, but some novels just don't get me in the mood.

I liked the adventure in Zona though and it made up for the other less than exciting parts. Only people I'll recommend it to are die-hard sci-fi buffs not people on the fence like me.
I Echo your thoughts. Yes, I too like a good fantasy novel.However, this was not able to live upto my expectations.Nevertherless, I would still be happy to try out the sequel when it is released. :tiphat:
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

It is indeed true that not all the lands of the earth have been explored. It's that part that I love about the book. Though I really wish to rate the book perfect, because its not reality and other lacking in action as it progressed, I rate it 3 out of 4. I do recommend it to everyone.
:D I believe in love
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

I love the effects of the suspense highlighted in the book. However, I find it a bit slow. Overall, Fred .G. Baker is a good writer. He's currently working on a new sequel, as I read, I will love to read that one too.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 because the have well succeeded in creating a suspenseful atmosphere and blending scifi with fantasy. The way the book's story line changes and give way to new adventures is awesome. Definitely enjoyed the book so much and hence the rating.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

The character development of the plot is admirable. However, some parts of the book are slow-paced and inert. I'd therefore rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:47 The first few chapters were interesting, but I was getting bored as I kept reading.
I agree with you. Some chapters are sluggish which would make a reader drift from the plot.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”