Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
MrClide
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrclide.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker

Post by MrClide »

I rated it 3 stars also, the book starts too slow, it was hard to catch it, but then it became nice and natural as the story advanced.
Njoxs-19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njoxs-19.html
Latest Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by Njoxs-19 »

Well, adventure, suspense, sci- fiction was what pulled me to the end. Overall, nice read.
KYALISIIMA MACRIS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyalisiima-macris.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by KYALISIIMA MACRIS »

I haven't tried to read it, but according to the comments, I have to try it. The reason I like science fiction is that it forces one to be open-minded, and think of the box, to enjoy it.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Benita_umunakwe wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 15:41 This book gets a 3 out of 4 stars for me. Although I love science fiction, the book started becoming unbelievable at some point. I would recommend this book to others because it is interesting and it makes one want to keep going
I don't mind a sci-fi book having an unbelievable scenes. But I respect your varied pereference.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Catie139
Currently Reading: Catena Aurea
Bookshelf Size: 12861
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catie139.html
Latest Review: The L.I.G.H.T. Seminar by Deacon Michael Wesley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Catie139 »

I'm giving the book a 2-star rating. I didn't think the periodic vulgarity was necessary, and there seemed to be quite a focus for a good portion of the book on sexuality. Both of these things turned me off of the book. It was hard getting into the book. I started it several times before being able to push past it. I did appreciate the action through most of the rest of the book, though.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by spencermack »

I wasn't a huge fan of the pace or how the narrative seemed to trail off as the story went on.
Spencer Mack
taejin jin
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taejin-jin.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by taejin jin »

I don't normally like science fiction but from the beginning of the book I did not have that feel of over exaggeration so I liked it, and I became hooked on the plot. I felt like it became more unrealistic as time went on, however, and I liked it less and less as I neared the end.
Nicolene75
Favorite Book: Redeeming Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene75.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Nicolene75 »

Jbcitygirl wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 02:01 I felt a sense of adventure compared to the likes of Indiana Jones in just the first couple pages, so I am excited to see what the rest of the book will bring.
And how can one not like Indiana Jones' type books? :mrgreen:

I am a reader, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

shynmr wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 18:15 The thing I disliked the most about the book is that the author could have capitalized more on the angst caused by the change in inhibitions. I felt like he set it up perfectly for more conflict and then never went for it.
I agree, such a development of the narrative structure can leave the reader confused and frustrated.
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

HusainNecklace52 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 08:35 I give this book three stars, not because I didn't like it - I really did - but because it seems to lag at times. The author has done well by creating an exciting story with really well-crafted characters. However, at some point, I feel like the plot isn't moving at the pace that it should for this kind of genre.
Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the book! :D
Regarding this, the question is, for a book of this genre, should the pace of the narrative be more important than the crafting of the characters?
rik17
Currently Reading:

Post by rik17 »

aacodreanu wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 12:09 My complaints are related to the use of Saint Petersburg instead of Sankt Petersburg (probably because of the city in the US by the same name) and to the less than precise knowledge of the Russian cuisine, e.g. "borsch'' not "sch", "vareniki" are different from "piroshki".
Glad that you mentioned piroshki. I vividly remember the amazing taste the couple of times I had the item when I was in that city once a few years back. Varenyky rightly said, is completely different food preparation. People should know the differences in food cuisines in any culture if they intend to write about them.
HusainNecklace52
Favorite Book: The Magic Strings of Frankie Presto
Currently Reading: A History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husainnecklace52.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by HusainNecklace52 »

rik17 wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 07:59
HusainNecklace52 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 08:35 I give this book three stars, not because I didn't like it - I really did - but because it seems to lag at times. The author has done well by creating an exciting story with really well-crafted characters. However, at some point, I feel like the plot isn't moving at the pace that it should for this kind of genre.
Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the book! :D
Regarding this, the question is, for a book of this genre, should the pace of the narrative be more important than the crafting of the characters?
I think that the crafting of the characters is just as important, especially for this kind of book. However, you need to construct the book at a pace that complements the entire tension of the book as well. I'm not saying that the book lags a lot when it comes to this, I'm simply saying that at some point I felt like the pace got too slow and that it would have done well if it assumed its normal pace.
Bimas28
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bimas28 »

Zona:The Forbidden Land by Fred G Baker is such a wonderful thing book that kept me on toes and anticipating to read more with that longiness to know what happens next.The events and scenes are well articulated and as a reader you can't just predict what's next.I will however rate the book 4/5 as despite the author is good and an award winner,there is a groom for growth,I am not giving it 100%.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

I would give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Some parts seemed a bit unbelievable, but I liked the plot and found it interesting.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

A sluggish buildup can be really frustrating. However, I thought the suspense spiced up the plot. I'd rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. The lovers of adventures and suspense like me, would find this book interesting.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”