Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

During the course of the expedition the group overindulged in alcohol and this caused many problems that could have easily been avoided. While they faced many obstacles from terrible weather to wild animals, In my opinion Alcohol was the largest obstacle to the expedition.
What about you, what do you think was the largest obstacle to the expedition?
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I think it's the lack of trust and the lack of open communication. The alcohol itself was not a problem for me, but the fact that some people were stealing it instead of sharing and enjoying together.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I think that the alcohol caused problems, and I was annoyed that the commander didn't just dump it all out which would have solved the issue. Putting the others on the honor system not to get into it was not a good decision.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 03:24 During the course of the expedition the group overindulged in alcohol and this caused many problems that could have easily been avoided. While they faced many obstacles from terrible weather to wild animals, In my opinion Alcohol was the largest obstacle to the expedition.
What about you, what do you think was the largest obstacle to the expedition?
I wholeheartedly agree that alcohol seemed to cause a lot of the issues that they had during the expedition. Had they have abstained from drinking, I think their experiences would have been much different!
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

Alcohol may have been one of their obstacles, but in my opinion, I think the largest of all was the lack of trust amongst them. If they had trusted each other, the alcohol would have been a minor obstacle.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I don’t think it was purely the alcohol that was the problem but rather human error. Through human error or human weaknesses, they created their own obstacles such as miscommunication, dishonestly, excessive alcohol consumption etc.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think their human weakness toward temptation was mostly the problem. Having the alcohol available at all was a problem waiting to happen. The expedition (and it's members) would have been better off without it.
Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Carennkemdiala »

I have a belief that too much of everything is bad. Their major consumption of alcohol was their doom and not the mere intake of same. I feel that if they had consumed it moderately, things wouldn’t have turned out as terrible as it did.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:55 I think that the alcohol caused problems, and I was annoyed that the commander didn't just dump it all out which would have solved the issue. Putting the others on the honor system not to get into it was not a good decision.
Couldn't agree more! Albeit a big contributor, alcohol is only one part of the problem. Thanks for the interesting perspective.
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

Alchohol was the greatest obstacle to the expedition. They just should not have brought it with them.
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:41 I don’t think it was purely the alcohol that was the problem but rather human error. Through human error or human weaknesses, they created their own obstacles such as miscommunication, dishonestly, excessive alcohol consumption etc.
Don't you think the alcohol made the human errors worse? For example, human error was a tremendous problem for Grant long before the expedition began, but I think alcohol compounded the problem. Perhaps he would have forgotten important meetings and left papers lying around carelessly even if he were completely sober, but alcohol always makes us less efficient, at best.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Honestly, through alcohol we get to see the HUMAN weaknesses, in the sense the overtime diminishing trust and absence of communication. So many problems could've been avoided not by just avoiding alcohol, but by talking.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

IchbineinBerliner wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 10:47
Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:41 I don’t think it was purely the alcohol that was the problem but rather human error. Through human error or human weaknesses, they created their own obstacles such as miscommunication, dishonestly, excessive alcohol consumption etc.
Don't you think the alcohol made the human errors worse? For example, human error was a tremendous problem for Grant long before the expedition began, but I think alcohol compounded the problem. Perhaps he would have forgotten important meetings and left papers lying around carelessly even if he were completely sober, but alcohol always makes us less efficient, at best.
Yes, I suppose you’re right. The alcohol enhanced what human errors were already present.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

Definitely the alcohol consumption made everything worse. I don't understand why it's not just thrown out the first time it begins to be abused. Of course, they had other issues such as lack of communication, but alcohol just worsens all their issues.
yosek123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yosek123.html
Latest Review: Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings by Gabriela Marie Milton

Post by yosek123 »

The presence of alcohol in this novel wasn't inherently problematic for me, but it was a really contrived effort to advance the plot and reveal character. It also could have been solved so simply (pour it out). Another reason I took issue with the alcohol was because it is an engagement with a stereotype that Russians are heavy and irresponsible drinkers. That is not to say that a book can't have a drinking Russian, only in this case it felt like the bumbling management of the situation and the character tropes were in fact used to play into that stereotype.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”