Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Bertha Jackson
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Plan to Kill
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Lizzy Baby by Sarah P Blanchard

Re: Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think the consumption of alcohol was the cause of all the fighting. With the consumption of alcohol they did not always make the right decisions combating the other obstacles.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
_Bokeh
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Favorite Book: The King of May
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bokeh.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by _Bokeh »

Alcohol abuse. Though human weaknesses are innate, we as humans have the power to control them. Since alcohol impairs judgement, it made them unable to control themselves and thus failed to uphold themselves to the standard of discipline and restraint needed for the mission.
shamayelnur
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamayelnur.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by shamayelnur »

I agree with you. I feel alcohol consumption was the primary reason which made their journey harder. I haven't thought about it that way though before coming across this forum
Bertha Jackson
Currently Reading: Plan to Kill
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Lizzy Baby by Sarah P Blanchard

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think there were several issues that impeded the expedition: alcohol, trust issues, poor planning, jealousy, and competitives.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Lucille27
2021 Reading Goal: 36
Favorite Book: The Haunting of the Hill House
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucille27.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Lucille27 »

I don't think alcohol, by itself, was the problem. The problem is the version of them that comes out when they drink and that using alcohol was just a way of escaping or releasing such versions. Also, as someone else mentioned before I am a bit conflicted is this was just made to perpetuate a stereotype.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I also believe that alcohol may have been the main obstacle in their expedition. Lack of trust and selfishness we're brought out by the fact that they were not willing to share.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: With Endless Love, Me: A borderline's diary by Yanni Logan

Post by Nqobile771 »

I think wild animals were one of the major obstacles, while the ego of some of them was another big obstacle.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: House of the Dead
Currently Reading: The Auto Boys' Mystery
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Bigwig1973 »

It's strange. I had a friend as a child whose dad could drink beer, I think pretty much all day, and not get violent or aggressive. But, if he drank whiskey, any kind of whiskey I was told or it was implied, he would get aggressive. I don't think other hard liquor had the same effect on him. I'm assuming, because most in his family had a few drinks on the weekend and because they also likely mixed drinks from the same bottle, that he was the only one affected in this manner. I wondered if something similar was going on in this book, except with vodka. It seems that the writer didn't necessarily rule it out as a possibility. As to it being the largest obstacle, what about fear? If they hadn't been so afraid of the wolves, then things might have turned out better (or not). I think the cold also would be a tremendous factor - when you're cold you have to keep active - that might cause people to be in a mood more conducive to violent behavior.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by zainherb »

The_Vivian wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:17 Alcohol may have been one of their obstacles, but in my opinion, I think the largest of all was the lack of trust amongst them. If they had trusted each other, the alcohol would have been a minor obstacle.
Agreed totally.
The alcohol was an obstacle alright. If they had not been drinking though, they would have shown their lack of trust with something else, as this, was their main issue.
:techie-reference:

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”