Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: Largest Obstacle to the expedition

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Conflict and secrecy were the major obstacles hindering the expedition. Because I know these two points lead to the death of most characters in the novel.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

Their downfall was due to their heavy alcohol usage, not just occasional sips. Things might not have gone as horribly as they did, in my opinion, if they had drank it moderately.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Ferdinand_Otieno wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 03:24 During the course of the expedition the group overindulged in alcohol and this caused many problems that could have easily been avoided. While they faced many obstacles from terrible weather to wild animals, In my opinion Alcohol was the largest obstacle to the expedition.
What about you, what do you think was the largest obstacle to the expedition?
I think the largest obstacle in their expedition is the lack of trust.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

people make mistakes, that is to say that there would have been obstacles with or without the alcohol, although alcohol did play a very big role.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

Alcohol was a major obstacle in their expedition in this book. I was appalled by how some even stole because of it. A lot of things would have been avoided and their journey would have been a lot smoother if not for the alcohol.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

I think that secrecy was one major obstacle. Keeping secrets was one of the key challenges. Grant gave a justification for keeping his uncle's diaries to himself. Each team member had a specialty that would have allowed them to discern something different in his uncle's writings.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Leen282 wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 08:12 I think it's the lack of trust and the lack of open communication. The alcohol itself was not a problem for me, but the fact that some people were stealing it instead of sharing and enjoying together.
I agree with this, starting with the fact that Grant did not want to share the content of his uncle's diary with the team members. I understand his reason though, but if they were more trustworthy, it would have made a lot of difference.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Beckygithui1994 wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 23:01 I agree that the obstacles are many. They keep appearing one after the other with no break. in my opinion, this reflects much on how real life actually is. We overcome one obstacle only to be faced with another. This author depicted this very clearly in the book.
Sincerely, after reading the book, I had a moment of reflection. In as much as it is scary to imagine those sort of obstacles actually happening in an adventure that I take in real life, it shows the kind of limes that life is eager that give you.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

At some point they almost forgot the reason why they were on the expedition because of their lack of self control towards alchohol. But that wasn't the only problem they had. Lack of trust was a major setback for the team. They were always suspicious of each other. Dr Taylor Grant had major trust issues maybe because of the Journal x he'd been reading.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I will say that the wolves attacks were the largest obstacle. Also, the biological factors that affected everyone's behavior was also an obstacle. It divided the group.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

For me, the large obstacle was lack of trust and the alcohol. I say lack of trust because of how they involved in fights regularly and would contend who is fit to lead. They were divided against themselves because they lacked trust.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

The largest obstacle to the expedition was understanding Zona and how it works. Once they made connection to the wolves, it was olain sailing from there.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I really wouldn't say alcohol was their biggest obstacle, the fact that they didn't like or trust each other was what affected them most. And their sexual relationship with themselves.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Thera reads »

They were their own problem in the expedition. They left the things that they would have focused on.
Fentymak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fentymak.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Fentymak »

The animals in Zona were difficult to control. They killed some of those expedition. This increased the workload for the rest.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”