Is Grant a good protagonist

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Is Grant a good protagonist

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Grant is a likeable character in the beginning of the book when he is dedicated to finding his uncle. He shows bravery and dedication while also exercising caution in trusting those in the expedition. He however finds himself in a sexual relationship with Irina despite his distrust, and she was only one of many unwise interactions with women. Despite his unique and exciting bond to wolves I found him a subpar protagonist.
What is your opinion of Grant as a protagonist and why?
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

I think that the protagonist of the story does not have to be an exceptionally good person to be the main character in a book. I believe that his character flaws are important to the plot.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I think he's a good protagonist. He's human, with good sides and flaws like any person.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

He is a "good" protagonist in that he is what drives the story; however, he is a weak character who gets even weaker as the story progresses.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I think he is a good person who had flaws. But that's what shows the humanity in him because at the end of the day as humans we all have our weaknesses but they do not define us. His character was captivating till the end.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:48 He is a "good" protagonist in that he is what drives the story; however, he is a weak character who gets even weaker as the story progresses.
Yes you’re exactly right. He is a good protagonist because he completes his role as a driving force in the novel. I think that the choice to have him become weaker as the story progresses in a interesting one. I think he embodies what many would fail to recognise in themselves by having flaws and growing weakness in the face of prolonged adversity.
Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Carennkemdiala »

I think the author did a good job in depicting the character of Grant. He perfectly streamlined his lifestyle with our everyday life. The fact that he started out pretty well in the beginning and ended not too well towards the end doesn’t make him weak, rather it makes him perfectly human. Personally, I loved Grant’s heroic role in the book.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

Technically, he had driven the story very well. He had shown realistic aspects which made him a good protagonist. I love how he had evolved, (though he had stumbled across unfortunate mishaps) and main characters who portrays "too perfect" roles are most likely to be the boring one.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

He was actually a very good protagonist. I like character with grey areas and realistic nature. His flaws are what made him much more likeable to me in general.
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I thought he was a good protagonist overall. I personally prefer it when the protagonist isn't perfect because it shows their humanity more and makes them more believable as real people.
yosek123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yosek123.html
Latest Review: Passions: Love Poems and Other Writings by Gabriela Marie Milton

Post by yosek123 »

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:48 He is a "good" protagonist in that he is what drives the story; however, he is a weak character who gets even weaker as the story progresses.
This is a really good point, I think, that sums up this piece well. For me, Grant is not a character I will remember, unlike the Otto Lidenbrock from Journey to the Center of the Earth, a book from which this author seems to get quite a bit of inspiration. He served his purpose in the narrative well, and certainly propelled the plot, but as a character, he was not iconic.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I completely agree with this. I think he is likable (and apparently the wolves agree), but perhaps has too many flaws to make his character completely plausible. He’s forgetful, naive, and seems to have a really difficult time catching on to very obvious hints. I had to keep reminding myself that he has a PhD and should be very intelligent.
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

I agree,
Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 08:20
I completely agree with this. I think he is likable (and apparently the wolves agree), but perhaps has too many flaws to make his character completely plausible. He’s forgetful, naive, and seems to have a really difficult time catching on to very obvious hints. I had to keep reminding myself that he has a PhD and should be very intelligent.

I agree, too. In the first part of the book, the author may be carrying the stereotype of the absent-minded professor too far in Grant. This man is incapable of keeping an appointment or taking basic safety precautions. His other character flaws showed up on the trip.
I guess it depends on what you mean by a "good" protagonist.
FGBaker1897
Currently Reading: The Kremlin's Candidate
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by FGBaker1897 »

Just a few notes about Grant:

How many of us know someone who is academically very intelligent but who has less street smarts than they do academic smarts. That is one of Grant's flaws.

Also remember, (and I tried to make it clear in the story) that Zona was a place that was heavily influenced by the vegetative life. The air was imbued with pollen and plant hormones that affected all of the travelers as well as residents. That was what made them all change their behaviors to some degree-Grant a great deal and even Volkov to a lesser amount. That was also the sexual driver that sent many of our travelers spinning out of control romantically (well sexually, at least.)

The science of how new plant hormones would potentially change behaviors is based on the real world in which we already substitute plant based hormones and drugs for their beneficial effects in human physiology. An example is the use of bio-identical plant compounds for human hormone replacement therapies.

What would happen if we found new plants that exuded new and active bio-identical pheromones?

Fred Baker
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I think we've somehow given our main protagonists a standard. We accept them flawed but we want them to accept their flaws and show character development. This is what everyone wishes not only any character of a book to be but we, individuals, as well.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”