Is Sex really necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Re: Is Sex really necessary?

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

Sexual activities are not necessary, in my opinion, for this book. Grant shouldn't have any free time during the journey for a romantic relationship. Although I don't think sex is necessary for the plot of the story, I respect the author for including it because she felt it was significant enough.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Sushan Ekanayake wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 10:37 Despite all the dangers and the exhaustion from the expedition, Grant, the protagonist, finds time for sexual encounters.

Has the author depicted the true human nature? Or is this inclusion just to attract the readers who are fond of sexually explicit content? Is sexual content really necessary for fiction?
In my opinion, the author expresses the true intent of the human nature but as well I do not think sex is necessary for the content of this novel.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I do not really find the book annoying as Grant has the time for sex amidst the situation because the urge for sex comes naturally, so it must not be time consuming to have sex, sex could be for few minutes, as far satisfaction is met.
Bef Ozo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bef-ozo.html
Latest Review: Ditching Success? by Batoul I. Ajlouni

Post by Bef Ozo »

It is not necessary, but I think it will be bad to judge someone who loves sex because we are all built differently. Different body, hormones and characters.
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

In as much as many readers love books that have sexual contents, many others do not. I don't think the author added the sexual contents to attract readers who love such things. If he did, didn't he know that many other people will not pick up the book because of the same reason?
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

I do think that sex is just one of the things that humans do, whether things are going well or not. The whole world might be burning and people will still satisfy their urges. The author was just trying to depicted the human behavior.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Drado_27 wrote: 08 Sep 2020, 07:07 I don't think that it is necessary. It might depend on the reader, but I find those repetitive scenes distasteful and redundant. However, I do think that a little bit of sexual content can be included for the book to feel natural and realistic.
You are actually correct. Sexual contents gives the story a natural feel. Even though that some of the sexual contents were redundant, it was still not really forced. The sexual contents makes the characters seem more human.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

Hana isa wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 09:57 I don't think so. Reading something like that makes me feel awful. I usually prefer books without sexual content.
Exactly my point! There are a lot of people who do not appreciate books with sexual contents. There are still readers who read only such book. So, it is okay if an author writes a book without any single sex scene in it. He would be catering to the need of a particular audience.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

Sex is natural and is part of life. A huge reasob why everyone is alive today. There's no way adults would be confined together for so long and not have sexual tension between themselves. It was realistic.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

I think it was to attract more readers. Also, it made the book realistic because there's high tendency that people of the opposite sex who are stuck with one another will grow sexual feelings for one another.
Online Concept
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ezel-dornelles.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Online Concept »

The sexual content was a bit unnerving and was a part of the sci-fi component because the urges were caused by plants in the environment but I don't believe it was necessary.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

No, I think the sex was totally unnecessary. The author could have added sex as it's natural and primal. But it was too much, and too unnecessary. It didn't make the book more interesting, less if anything.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Thera reads »

I think sex is necessary, but it was misused in this book.
Fentymak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fentymak.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Fentymak »

It is part of life. Do yes, it is very necessary. I don't have a problem with the sex scenes in the book.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

Sex is not a vital part of this story. Grant did not need sex in his expeditions or it gives much to the plotline. Those only, in my opinion, increase the target readers and a break from science fiction. It can be said that sex shows the prime nature of humans, but that doesn't mean it has to be shown.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”