Is Sex really necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Re: Is Sex really necessary?

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I am not sure the sexual content was necessary, but it is part of our human nature. Realistically, sex would be part of the plot. It was appropriate.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

Sex for me, in this book was not wrong. Yes, Grant is supposed to be tired and filled other things that should take his attention. But the romance also helped to ease the tension too.
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

Sex is a natural human activity. There are situations when stress induced panic increases one's libido. Having said that, I'm not too sure about including sexual activity in a plot such as this.
Teesheetz
Currently Reading: Your Adventurous Life Awaits
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teesheetz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Teesheetz »

I do not like sex scenes in books, however, in Zona, it did play into the story as it addressed human nature and the response to the natural hormone surge. I was pleased that the author did not get detailed or graphic with these scenes. Though I accept that sex was part of the plot, I think it was a bit overkill and there were more sexual encounters than needed to get the point across.
Sarah Nichols 7
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Doctor Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-nichols-7.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Sarah Nichols 7 »

I think the inclusion of sexually explicit scenes in fiction is usually pretty excessive. It’s mostly to appease people who want a little titillation. Would he actually have time in his journey for sexual encounters? Probably not.
Aishwarya Chhabra
Currently Reading: Make The Dirt Fly
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishwarya-chhabra.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Aishwarya Chhabra »

Of course whenever any writer writes a book, he obviously needs an attraction of larger groups of people. As we know everyone is born to a different taste, there are people who love sexual content. Hence to suffice their reading likes, it can be justified that sex content became a little unavoidable. With involvement of sex scenes we add another genre for discussion within the book which heightens our interests.
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

I have read many novels where sexual encounters seems appropriate. However, some authors try to include those scenes unnecessarily just to keep the readers attracted to the story. Having said that, I find no reason to not include sex, if an author can balance it the way it is not distracting to the reader and no harm done to the storyline. As for the sexual scenes in this story, yes, at times those are over the top.
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Benita_umunakwe wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:25 It is human nature to have sexual urges and I think the author depicted the true human nature and I don't think it's for only readers who are fond of it.
I agree. Whilst I'm not one to look out for sexual content in books as I believe it can be negligible, it cannot be ruled out that sexual urges are real and can come sometimes when you least expect it or when the conditions don't seem right. This can serve as a good reason for the author to have included it.
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

Although sex may be the last thing that one might think about in the midst of an expedition or dangerous encounter, it actually could strengthen the bonds between those involved and may even turn things around due to the new perspective. Though not completely necessary, I'm pretty sure its not irrelevant.
:D I believe in love
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

It could be left out without altering the overall plot of the book. However, I think the author included or to patronize readers who may not generally be fascinated by sci-fi. The book is still enjoyable after all.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I think that the author's inclusion of sex in this expedition is understandable. Regardless of how stressful things may get with humans, they still find time for sex. It helps relieve stress anyway, plus it looks good on paper it'll definitely attract readers.
Amara911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amara911.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Amara911 »

I think the sex component included here wasn't out of context, it was part of the science fiction story.
It was just normal for me but then I would recommend this book for people under the age of 18.
The book is a good read for me
imet123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imet123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by imet123 »

I feel the inclussion of sex wasnt really neccessary, but the author must have believed it was important for the story.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I don't really think the true human nature is to defy danger and explore your sexual desires even when you don't really have the time, but it is quite normal for a young guy like Grant filled with urges to have sex in the middle of his quest and I didn't think it was a distraction from the plot.The sex scenes in the book added a flavor to it and were probably puy there by the author to forward the plot and complex the relationships between the characters.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

FaithMO19 wrote: 17 Sep 2020, 04:49 I think that the author's inclusion of sex in this expedition is understandable. Regardless of how stressful things may get with humans, they still find time for sex. It helps relieve stress anyway, plus it looks good on paper it'll definitely attract readers.
You just said exactly what was on my mind. Sex is literally embedded in the human nature, and no matter how serious circumstances are, there's always room for a little deviation.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”