Is Sex really necessary?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Is Sex really necessary?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Despite all the dangers and the exhaustion from the expedition, Grant, the protagonist, finds time for sexual encounters.

Has the author depicted the true human nature? Or is this inclusion just to attract the readers who are fond of sexually explicit content? Is sexual content really necessary for fiction?
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Anna Dougherty
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-dougherty.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Anna Dougherty »

I do not believe that sexual endeavors are necessary for this book. Grant should not have time for a romantic involvement on the expedition. Although I do not think sex is necessary for the story I trust in the fact that the author thought it was important enough to the plot to include it.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I think that the sex component was the science fiction element because it was caused by the hormone-producing plant that caused them all to be aroused and fertile. I don't think it was necessary to the story; I think it was annoying.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

I wouldn't want to completely rule out the necessity of the sex in the book even though I think it could have been left out. It was however a necessary plot for persons who may not have ordinarily enjoyed the science.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Although I agree that sex is not necessarily important for books to include, I don’t think the inclusion here is out of place. I think it demonstrates how one can still be deterred by our more baser/natural instinct, regardless of the various tasks at hand.
Benita_umunakwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Benita_umunakwe »

It is human nature to have sexual urges and I think the author depicted the true human nature and I don't think it's for only readers who are fond of it.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I found it distasteful. I can't understand how it was necessary for the story. Many times, at least for me, books lose their interest because of things like overly graphic sex, violence, and profanity thrown into it. Books can be excellent reads without it!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sushan Ekanayake
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star

Anna Dougherty wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 12:21 I do not believe that sexual endeavors are necessary for this book. Grant should not have time for a romantic involvement on the expedition. Although I do not think sex is necessary for the story I trust in the fact that the author thought it was important enough to the plot to include it.
I thought the same. How could Grant have found time for that 🤔

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

diana lowery wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 13:51 I think that the sex component was the science fiction element because it was caused by the hormone-producing plant that caused them all to be aroused and fertile. I don't think it was necessary to the story; I think it was annoying.
The author has given fair reasons for the encounter. But the necessity of that for the plot is the issue

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:19 Although I agree that sex is not necessarily important for books to include, I don’t think the inclusion here is out of place. I think it demonstrates how one can still be deterred by our more baser/natural instinct, regardless of the various tasks at hand.
That is quite right. Sometimes our basic human behaviours overcome what is really necessary

- Bill Gates -

Sushan Ekanayake

B Creech wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 17:35 I found it distasteful. I can't understand how it was necessary for the story. Many times, at least for me, books lose their interest because of things like overly graphic sex, violence, and profanity thrown into it. Books can be excellent reads without it!
That is very true. If you don't prefer such content, you will loose interest in the book

- Bill Gates -

Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

That was one of the problems I had with the book as well. Grant was on an expedition to find his uncle, but he took the time to 'consort' with the ladies? This just doesn't jive with me. It is a detriment to the book, I believe.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

In my opinion, the sex scenes were a distraction from what was actually happening. I found it shocking that author decided to add sex scenes. It adds up to why I felt the book dragged on for a bit too long.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:19 Although I agree that sex is not necessarily important for books to include, I don’t think the inclusion here is out of place. I think it demonstrates how one can still be deterred by our more baser/natural instinct, regardless of the various tasks at hand.
I agree with you, very well worded.
Carennkemdiala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carennkemdiala.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Carennkemdiala »

I would be dishonest if I said that the sex scenes in the book were totally unnecessary. For me, sex is a natural occurrence and everyone would normally have urges, it’s now left for you as a person to decide to physically get involved sexually or not. So generally, I think it was just normal for Grant as a young guy to have sex even amidst the quest of finding his Uncle. The book is a good read.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”