Lessons to be inferred

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Lessons to be inferred

Post by anoushka_thakur »

What can be the lessons inferred from the book?
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Human nature will always be a bit of a mystery, impulses and desire will generally trump logical thought-processing, there are probably geographical locations out there that still remain an unexplored mystery, and aggressive predators will eat you when repeatedly provoked! These are the lessons the book solidified for me. How about you, @anoushka_thakur?
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html

Post by anoushka_thakur »

I agree with your points, in addition to that, I beleive human is explosive in nature. They run on the basis of curiosity and impulse, hence they will do what they want to experience, no matter the situation. These were the lessons incured. @AvidBibliophile
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
AvidBibliophile

I will definitely agree that humans are volatile beings capable of both miraculous and unspeakable things. Some have better impulse control than others, but most souls run on raw desire and instinct (especially those in a harsh wilderness setting)!
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Nothing is really to achieve. If you seek and adventure, you have to be ready for dangers involved. Another lesson is that alcohol when abused can lead to serious problems. Best of all is that humans are unpredictable and act based on impulse and their environment.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 01:28 Nothing is really to achieve. If you seek and adventure, you have to be ready for dangers involved. Another lesson is that alcohol when abused can lead to serious problems. Best of all is that humans are unpredictable and act based on impulse and their environment.
"Nothing is really easy to achieve"
Laurakish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurakish.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Laurakish »

Letting loose at times comes in handy. Take for instance Grant who finds himself in a sexual relationships with Irina Ustinov despite the fact that she is not to be trusted. I loved that she unwillingly follows him unto the second expedition
shynmr
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shynmr.html
Latest Review: My Father Wakes Up Laughing by Jo Simons

Post by shynmr »

I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

I also think that the book is showing us the importance of nature and how the instincts of humans come out when faced with the undiscriminating force of nature.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

Nature is also intelligent as much as we humans think we possess a superior intellect. Also primal desires at times can take precedent over rational decision making.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

If you take a group of different people, send them to a conference, have them interact in a meeting room all day, then socialize all evening, you will find that each is unique and responds to the situation in a different way. Some are glad to. be there and thankful for the opportunity. Others are there grudgingly, and may or may not be swayed by the others. Now, take a different group of people, plop them in the middle of Siberia, have them travel across a wasteland, then settle into a paradise filled with wonderment and predators, and you can be assured that some will be happy and other not so much. Toss in some HGH and aphrodisiac chemical compounds, as well as alcohol and firearms, and there's no telling how anyone will act. Human nature is a funny thing. How would I act? I tend to think I'd behave myself. But who knows?
mariya1214
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariya1214.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by mariya1214 »

I think the book really taught the innate nature of humans when they encounter nature's force
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

For me, the lesson would be that we cannot underestimate the power of nature, plants, flowers - and we don't even have to look at extreme situations like in the book, it would be good already if humans respect nature and everything it gives to us.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
I have to agree with this. When they stole from the animals, the animals wanted revenge. When they returned the bones to the wolves, the wolves showed respect. While we perhaps can’t have quite the same level of relationships as Grant and his crew did with the wolves, we should all practice respecting nature (and I think nature rewards us when we do; e.g., preserving land then getting to observe plants wildlife at work).
AvidBibliophile

Mstrtim wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 11:28 Now, take a different group of people, plop them in the middle of Siberia, have them travel across a wasteland, then settle into a paradise filled with wonderment and predators, and you can be assured that some will be happy and other not so much. Toss in some HGH and aphrodisiac chemical compounds, as well as alcohol and firearms, and there's no telling how anyone will act. Human nature is a funny thing. How would I act? I tend to think I'd behave myself. But who knows?
I can definitely envision how a Siberian paradise filled with wonderment and predators would drastically assault the senses and affect all acts of ultimate survival. Then add in some supercharged hormones and pheromones and you've got a convoluted cocktail of cyclonic misadventures just waiting to happen! Maybe such an environment would be the ultimate test of true self-actualization.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”