Lessons to be inferred

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Angatia
Currently Reading: NADEEM'S JOURNEY
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angatia.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Lessons to be inferred

Post by Angatia »

Human beings apart from being volatile, do think they can surpass nature. This expedition takes us on a mental workshop when the dangers of the wild come knocking on Grant's and his colleague's doors at a time they lest expected.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 15:07
shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
I have to agree with this. When they stole from the animals, the animals wanted revenge. When they returned the bones to the wolves, the wolves showed respect. While we perhaps can’t have quite the same level of relationships as Grant and his crew did with the wolves, we should all practice respecting nature (and I think nature rewards us when we do; e.g., preserving land then getting to observe plants wildlife at work).
Very well worded by both of you, it's important to live your life with respect for nature.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I think the biggest lesson to be inferred is that human nature is unpredictable. Also that humans should not toy with natural forces and try to leave the world as uncorrupted as they can.
Bruno Abia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruno-abia.html
Latest Review: Desert Sanctuary by Fred G. Baker

Post by Bruno Abia »

I learnt that one human being is just as vulnerable as the other. We are mostly unpredictable as we act on impulse.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
I agree with you about taking care of the environment. The fact that the green had such influence over life and people's characters in the book, was to some extent, enviable.
Aaron Ambers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-ambers.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Aaron Ambers »

Mstrtim wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 11:28 If you take a group of different people, send them to a conference, have them interact in a meeting room all day, then socialize all evening, you will find that each is unique and responds to the situation in a different way. Some are glad to. be there and thankful for the opportunity. Others are there grudgingly, and may or may not be swayed by the others. Now, take a different group of people, plop them in the middle of Siberia, have them travel across a wasteland, then settle into a paradise filled with wonderment and predators, and you can be assured that some will be happy and other not so much. Toss in some HGH and aphrodisiac chemical compounds, as well as alcohol and firearms, and there's no telling how anyone will act. Human nature is a funny thing. How would I act? I tend to think I'd behave myself. But who knows?
I agree the human nature is funny, and how we'd act given certain circumstances is not totally known to us, but then self-control is an ability we humans have in a great dose.
What makes you different or weird – that’s your strength.” – Meryl Streep
:tiphat:
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree with all of these lessons, but I think that these lessons can be applied to humans beings in the real world. We as a species are impulsive which is why we migrated to other lands during the Last Ice Age and are still moving around to this day. Expeditions satisfy are innate curiosity to learn more about the things that we don't understand and experience things we don't ordinarily experience.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I would say that the biggest lesson is tht there is so much that we don't know about our planet and environment, and that we should be careful when we explore it.
Echez_
Currently Reading: Totto-chan, the Little Girl at the Window
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echez.html
Latest Review: The Blue Sea Monster by Norma Fleagane, James Fleagane, Blake James Ward

Post by Echez_ »

Well, this book reaffirmed my beliefs on human nature. We can be unpredictable sometimes especially when faced with some peculiar situations. However, nature and our enviroment plays a vital role in our behaviour.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

The importance of understanding human nature is the prime motive of the story in this book. It is also explaining the inevitable consequences that one can get landed into because of them going out of control in the personal habits and the lifestyle. And moreover, the should be very much bold and ready to face the dangers if you re going beyond your point in adventures and more important one should trust and believe on his instinct.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 00:17 I will definitely agree that humans are volatile beings capable of both miraculous and unspeakable things. Some have better impulse control than others, but most souls run on raw desire and instinct (especially those in a harsh wilderness setting)!
That is absolutely correct humans do run on raw instinct and the desire to know.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

Vic Chimezie wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 01:28 Nothing is really to achieve. If you seek and adventure, you have to be ready for dangers involved. Another lesson is that alcohol when abused can lead to serious problems. Best of all is that humans are unpredictable and act based on impulse and their environment.
That too is true, one has to be aware of the dangers involved. Human's nature is unpredictable.
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

Laurakish wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 05:42 Letting loose at times comes in handy. Take for instance Grant who finds himself in a sexual relationships with Irina Ustinov despite the fact that she is not to be trusted. I loved that she unwillingly follows him unto the second expedition
What would you have done if you were in her place?
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

Angatia wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 14:38 Human beings apart from being volatile, do think they can surpass nature. This expedition takes us on a mental workshop when the dangers of the wild come knocking on Grant's and his colleague's doors at a time they lest expected.
What is your thought: Can humans surpass nature ?
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:

aruntr2001 wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 04:12 The importance of understanding human nature is the prime motive of the story in this book. It is also explaining the inevitable consequences that one can get landed into because of them going out of control in the personal habits and the lifestyle. And moreover, the should be very much bold and ready to face the dangers if you re going beyond your point in adventures and more important one should trust and believe on his instinct.
AGREED!

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”