Lessons to be inferred

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Post Reply
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Re: Lessons to be inferred

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Echez_ wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 02:16 Well, this book reaffirmed my beliefs on human nature. We can be unpredictable sometimes especially when faced with some peculiar situations. However, nature and our enviroment plays a vital role in our behaviour.
How do you think our environment plays a vital role in our behaviour?
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Aditi Sapate wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 02:12 I think the biggest lesson to be inferred is that human nature is unpredictable. Also that humans should not toy with natural forces and try to leave the world as uncorrupted as they can.
I agree, but we do exploit nature's giving. It is a bit difficult to leave it uncorrupted, but I feel that we could respect it more than we already do.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Bruno Abia wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 07:40 I learnt that one human being is just as vulnerable as the other. We are mostly unpredictable as we act on impulse.
That is true. Our vulnerabilities let us act on impulse, I believe.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
That is very true. But when have you ever seen humans let nature be nature, hardly ever. So what can be done instead ?
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Tan TR wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 10:16 I also think that the book is showing us the importance of nature and how the instincts of humans come out when faced with the undiscriminating force of nature.
I agree, but what have we done and the way we have treated nature, Nature was bound to show its force.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Slater678 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 10:27 Nature is also intelligent as much as we humans think we possess a superior intellect. Also primal desires at times can take precedent over rational decision making.
I agree with you, Newton's third law always comes to act whenever humans screw nature up, nature pays them back.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Mstrtim wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 11:28 If you take a group of different people, send them to a conference, have them interact in a meeting room all day, then socialize all evening, you will find that each is unique and responds to the situation in a different way. Some are glad to. be there and thankful for the opportunity. Others are there grudgingly, and may or may not be swayed by the others. Now, take a different group of people, plop them in the middle of Siberia, have them travel across a wasteland, then settle into a paradise filled with wonderment and predators, and you can be assured that some will be happy and other not so much. Toss in some HGH and aphrodisiac chemical compounds, as well as alcohol and firearms, and there's no telling how anyone will act. Human nature is a funny thing. How would I act? I tend to think I'd behave myself. But who knows?
I agree, but also I think different humans are wired in a specific way and would act according to their true nature. Hence, sometime we wouldn't even know how we would act in a situation.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Leen282 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 14:07 For me, the lesson would be that we cannot underestimate the power of nature, plants, flowers - and we don't even have to look at extreme situations like in the book, it would be good already if humans respect nature and everything it gives to us.
I agree but have we ever respects nature in life? We keep on exploiting it.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 15:07
shynmr wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 07:25 I think the idea of leaving the natural world as unmolested as possible is one of the biggest lessons. Had the team not interfered with nature, their encounters with the wolves may not have been as harrowing. It's "do unto others as you would have done to you" applied to non-humans and has echoes throughout society. We are arriving to be more humane and this is a shining example of why and when that could matter.
I have to agree with this. When they stole from the animals, the animals wanted revenge. When they returned the bones to the wolves, the wolves showed respect. While we perhaps can’t have quite the same level of relationships as Grant and his crew did with the wolves, we should all practice respecting nature (and I think nature rewards us when we do; e.g., preserving land then getting to observe plants wildlife at work).
What you do, you get back in return. I agree with your point. It all depends on how carefully we take care of nature.
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
JeanyJean
Posts: 237
Joined: 15 Jul 2020, 07:50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

Personally, i have learnt from the book that nature is pure and the best place one can be is at the exposure of nature, it is at this points that human beings experience self actualization. By giving in to the human nature of curiosity the protagonist got the opportunity to meet new people and experience new encounters. Sometimes in life, we should allow nature to take its course.
JeanyJean
Posts: 237
Joined: 15 Jul 2020, 07:50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanyjean.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by JeanyJean »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 18:12 Human nature will always be a bit of a mystery, impulses and desire will generally trump logical thought-processing, there are probably geographical locations out there that still remain an unexplored mystery, and aggressive predators will eat you when repeatedly provoked! These are the lessons the book solidified for me. How about you, @anoushka_thakur?
I totally agree with you that human nature will always have a bit of mystery. This is especially so because I still do not understand what elements were produced by the pollen that had such great effect on the hormonal structure of the human beings. Must have the humans given in to their sexual urges. This remains a mystery.
User avatar
Angatia
Posts: 47
Joined: 14 Oct 2017, 03:43
Currently Reading: NADEEM'S JOURNEY
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angatia.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Angatia »

Mstrtim has a valid thought on this topic. One man's meat is another one's poison.
Marion Jepkosgei
Posts: 164
Joined: 07 May 2020, 04:59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I am an environmental scientist and the greatest lesson I learnt from the book is that nature doesn't forget and it definitely doesn't forget. So for us humans to co-exist in perfect harmony with the natural environment, we must stop interfering with nature.

And that the natural environment can do fine without us, but we can't exist without plants and animals. And so, in this age of climate change, we must atone to nature by stopping the injustices we subject to animals and plants. Everything on earth has a moral value.
User avatar
Priyanka2304
Posts: 759
Joined: 18 Mar 2019, 05:38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

For me, this story has a lot of potential in telling us about the true might of the nature. It's better not to mess with it. While I was reading this book, I was having glimpses of the movie 'The Happening'.
User avatar
anoushka_thakur
Posts: 162
Joined: 02 May 2020, 04:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

JeanyJean wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 10:59 Personally, i have learnt from the book that nature is pure and the best place one can be is at the exposure of nature, it is at this points that human beings experience self actualization. By giving in to the human nature of curiosity the protagonist got the opportunity to meet new people and experience new encounters. Sometimes in life, we should allow nature to take its course.
Exactly.... Let things happen on their own!
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”