Is Zona believable?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Asunshine
Currently Reading: Diary of a Wimpy Kid :The Ugly Truth
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asunshine.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Is Zona believable?

Post by Asunshine »

It's a fictional book, so I think the description of Zona is okay. It totally depend on the reader's level of imagination.
MuthoniMuriithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muthonimuriithi.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MuthoniMuriithi »

The description of the geographical location is not sufficient. This makes a reader keep asking themselves questions which are left unanswered.
ROMANS 8:31
What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

ArriettyClock wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 04:10 Did you find Zona believable ? Are there any descriptive areas that you think were lacking in the novel which could have helped you understand Zona better? (e.g. descriptions of the locations, or more background on why it's forbidden, or a better scale on how large it is?)
It was a bit annoying that the novel was slow to start, and I think this contributed to my impatience surrounding the Zona.
I think it is fine. The book contains magic and things that are not in the contemporary world, hence as expected should, and is hidden from the world.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

book_fanatic_ wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 03:50 I think the author could have done a better job in the description of Zona. Several questions are left unanswered about its being forbidden and the geographical location. The writer could have been a bit more illustrative to engage the reader more.
I'm with you on the forbidden part but not the geography. Pinpointing Zona's location on the world map would make it unbelievable, as there is no magic in the world.
cameronleung
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cameronleung.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by cameronleung »

Contains Spoilers!
The descriptions and succession of events were detailed enough for me to believe in them. However, when it came to the effects of Zona like how the land alters one's aging and hormones, it was hard to deem realistic. Also, the overly kind and humble talking wolves threw me off.
marcie_sheeraw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by marcie_sheeraw »

its fictional soit all depends on ones imagination. but in terms of description I think its believable
Lhammamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhammamy.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Lhammamy »

Initially I thought it wasn't believable because it was vague and unimaginable. But then it stroke me that most of the things we believe in are unimaginable and mostly surrounded with unanswered questions so maybe the author intended it this way.. so it makes sense to me.
Veraok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veraok.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Veraok »

Zona is not believable. For the fact that the story was written with so many imaginations (it's a frictional thriller)makes it hard to believe .
Nicholas Christian
Currently Reading: Kalayla
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholas-christian.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Nicholas Christian »

Well, according to my opinion, it IS fiction after all. Much is left to the imagination, which is a good thing because it will stimulate a reader's mind. However, I would have liked some more elaboration, particularly on the scenery and basic science behind some of the phenomena depicted in the book. That is my take.
EudoraMac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by EudoraMac »

For the purpose it served in the book, it was believable for me and complete with the maps at the beginning, I didn't require so much more clarity to connect the scenes in the book.
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

In my opinion, Zona is not exactly believable... In what world would a doctor, a Russian spy and multiple deadly animals come together without forced circumstances. Also just the fact that Zona itself doesn't "officially exist" is a little farfetched.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

A slow start to most books is used to draw readers in and create suspense. It teaches patience. And Zona is believable in some aspects such as that its in Siberia.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Although I believe the beginning of the book was relatively slow it did build up my curiosity for the remainder of the book. The maps at the beginning of the book helped me imagine what Zona was like.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

It is a fiction story, it's up to the reader to picture how Zona should look like, but the reader's imagination has to be backed by the writer's colorful vocabulary. I believe there wasn't much imagery of how Zona looks like.
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

Well, Zona is unexplored so it depends upon the readers if they think it is believable. I liked the mystery around it, such as Zona beng forbidden. I think what really makes it believable is that it is forbidden and unexplored, which means that we really do not have any idea (as readers) what Zona could contain.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”