Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Post by Akshobhya B »

We do have such strong connections with dogs and other domesticated animals. Some times you can feel a telepathic connection with your pet. As far as the story is concerned, the writer uses fantastical elements to exaggerate a little and make the book more entertaining.
Deborah Dodd
Favorite Book: Killing Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah-dodd.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Deborah Dodd »

From experience, I have understood my dog and he could understand me, but overall having a two-way conversation with Shadow was not possible and thus, the author went into fantasy. I still enjoyed the story very much and I could see a second book come out of it.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

Well, in fiction, anything is possible. Too much thought need not be given to the connections. Grant's connection with that animal was a nice flavor to the story right!?
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I agree but not verbally. It can either be through signs or body language. And also it depends on the training given to the animal.
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

I cant really say weather such connection is possible. If people could get so connected to their dogs, cats and other pets, then I think such connection can be possible with any other animal although i think the author over exaggerated the whole thing.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Smrithi Arun »

Absolutely! Humans and animals can have the kind of connection that Grant and Shadow had, maybe not linguistically but… I don’t know how else to put it so, telepathically. The linguistic touch could be because they were in Zona where normal rules generally don’t apply. I do believe that animals irl can sense emotions and intentions.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:21 Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
I don't think so, humans and animals can not have that sort of understanding and communication that Grant and shadow experienced.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
E Daves
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-daves.html
Latest Review: Zero the Hero! by Paul Gurgol

Post by E Daves »

I believe that people can have different levels of connections with animals. The connection might not be speech wise, but it can be understanding each other. They might not be able to say it out because of speech barrier, but they can act it.
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

diana lowery wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 15:27 I was able to believe the conversation between Grant and Shadow in the beginning, but later on in the story I felt like it shifted over to fantasy with all the different animal/human and animal/animal conversations.
I think this shift made the book more interesting. I was amazed by the author's imaginative capacity. I really commend him for bringing all these to life in his book. All the human/animal and animal/animal conversations were awesome!
E Daves
Currently Reading:

Post by E Daves »

iknwuzoh wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 07:52 Yes of course. Humans can communicate with animals. I remember talking with a bird sometime ago. I could understand what the bird was saying. God made things that way, but corruption and godlessness seems to make it seem unrealistic, but it is real.
I can agree when you say you talked to a bird. Very understandable if it was a one way communication, but not when you say that you understood the bird. How did that happen? I am a very godly person, I just don't think that the two way communication is possible, unless it is by body language.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

No, I don't think it's possible and that's why the book is fictional. We're humans and they're not. There's no connection anywhere.
Azuka Jessica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-jessica.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Jessica »

It's not impossible. In fact it is very possible. We have seen humans and the deep connections they have with their pet, a dog or a cat. So if that is possible, then this is.
Odindi Omo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odindi-omo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Odindi Omo »

I think this was another cool part of this book. Such bonds are very real. I think it's possible. The author just made it more beautiful and intimate.
Thera reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thera-reads.html
Latest Review: Overcoming Systemic Prejudice and Discrimination by J. Dawson Williams, D. Min.

Post by Thera reads »

It was a bit much. The book need to be a bit realistic.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

It is possible for Grant to have full conversations with animals. As most pet owners in real life do converse or at least monologue with their pets. Dogs and cats can be trained to converse as well. The biggest proof are parrots which are the most conversational animals for humans. But near the end of the book, with conversations getting more complex, the idea broke down.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”