Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I believe such efficient communication can exist, obviously not based on speech but based on body language.
Njericate19
Currently Reading: Her surrender
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Njericate19 »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:21 Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
i totally agree that it is possible for a human to communicate with another animal, this is unrelated to the book but hear this, i have seen people communicate with their dogs and cats and in return the animals totally understand what their humans are saying. And i think this creates a very unique bond, so yes it is absolutely possible that a human can communicate with an animal.
Adrianna Melillo

Njericate19 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 07:16
Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:21 Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
i totally agree that it is possible for a human to communicate with another animal, this is unrelated to the book but hear this, i have seen people communicate with their dogs and cats and in return the animals totally understand what their humans are saying. And i think this creates a very unique bond, so yes it is absolutely possible that a human can communicate with an animal.
In the book we see Grant and the wolves having legitimate conversations. I wonder what the limit is in "real life." I've definitely been able to communicate with animals through gestures and actions (and perhaps a few words here and there), but it's only ever been to try to get the animal to cooperate with a certain action. I've never heard of someone legitimately being able to have a conversation with an animal. I wonder if this exists.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I was able to believe the conversation between Grant and Shadow in the beginning, but later on in the story I felt like it shifted over to fantasy with all the different animal/human and animal/animal conversations.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I feel the author overdid it a bit there. It was easier for me to believe it in the beginnings, but later it all just like flat out fantasy. I don't think humans can have full on conversations with animals in real life though. There can be a strong connection, for sure, but full on conversations are another thing altogether.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Adrianna Melillo

diana lowery wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 15:27 I was able to believe the conversation between Grant and Shadow in the beginning, but later on in the story I felt like it shifted over to fantasy with all the different animal/human and animal/animal conversations.
That’s a fair point. I wasn’t expecting other characters to be able to communicate and learn their “wolf language.” I suppose this was one of the stronger fantasy elements.
Zubayydah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubayydah.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zubayydah »

Agreed. I personally had a deep connection with my dogs. Especially when it comes to our emotions. A person could be feeling sad and their pet picks up on their mood and tries to offer comfort. It is a beautiful connection to have. It definitely exists in real life.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

In many fantasy novels (with dragons especially), there always seems to be a “telepathic communication” component that unbreakably links the mythical creature to the protagonist. Those silent bits of dialogue seem to help solidify the sense of mystery and intrigue. I think it fit well with what the author was trying to convey with dire wolves in this story.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

The author started well but later on exaggerated some issues like clear conversations between humans and pets.
angela roura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-roura.html
Latest Review: The Tempter's Bane by Kyle McCurry

Post by angela roura »

Humans can have quite deep relationships with their pets. I had a cat who could tell anytime I was sad or sick, and he would come take care of me. Perhaps the author just chose to exaggerate this sort of connection/relationship with Grant and Shadow.
shynmr
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shynmr.html
Latest Review: My Father Wakes Up Laughing by Jo Simons

Post by shynmr »

Human-animal interaction can be very nuanced. I think a degree of connection is a given. I know the various looks my dog gives me anf actions he displays, for instance. I can't have full-blown conversations with him, but body language goes a long way.

I wonder how you all would compare this to the conversations that silently occur amongst human groups. If you've seen the movie "Aloha," you'll know this complex communication isn't limited to just the human-to-animal variety, at least in a writer's imagination.

It wasn't explicated, but do you think the conversations getting more complex the further the team got into Zona is relevant? With the chemical enhancements in the air, there could be some foundation in the story for these extremely impressive abilities.
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

Human and animals can communicate, we see alot of people connect really well with their pets. And this cannot be achieved without a good communication between them. But I think here they went to an extent where I would call fantasy.
Prachi Randeria
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prachi-randeria.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Prachi Randeria »

Humans and animals can communicate. I have seen many pet owners interact quite nicely with their pets. I strongly believed the connection between Grant and Shadow in the beginning but it lost its charm in the end and felt like pure fantasy.
Marxell
Currently Reading:

Post by Marxell »

I believe deep connection can exit between someone and another animal. But to some extent the author did too much with that.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”