Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Re: Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I definitely think humans can communicate with animals. Even though animals cannot speak to us, some of them are very intelligent and express how they are feeling in other ways. I think as with anything, the more open you are to the idea, the easier it will be to experience this kind of behavior.
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

I believe humans can connect to other living things. You can always see how humans are attached to their pets and vice versa. Sure the communication may be limited, but the connection is there.
ReadMeow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readmeow.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by ReadMeow »

I absolutely believe that animals and humans can have extremely strong bonds. People and animals can communicate on incredibly intimate levels. My mother rescues horses and the horse she has now, Rain, has an amazing bond with her. They seem to understand each other based on body language and tone of voice very well. It took a long time to get there, especially because Rain had clearly not been treated well prior to my family owning her, but she has her way of communicating with my mother in a way that goes beyond anything I have ever seen. I think there are some limitations and that perhaps Grant's communication with Shadow is a bit out of the realm of reality, but for the most part I believe that such connections are real.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Leen282 wrote:
> I believe such efficient communication can exist, obviously not based on
> speech but based on body language.

I agree with you. I think animals and humans always speak to each other. If you think about a pet dog or cat, they definitely let you know what they want, what is hurtful, and a lot of their emotions through their body language and eyes. This may not be to the extent the story describes, but it still exists.
baha Ibrahim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baha-ibrahim.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by baha Ibrahim »

The author exaggerated some issues like clear conversations between humans and pets.
RachelEmmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelemmanuel.html
Latest Review: Daddy’s Baby Mama’s Maybe by Come Lamore
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by RachelEmmanuel »

Miller56 wrote:
> Leen282 wrote:
> > I believe such efficient communication can exist, obviously not based on
> > speech but based on body language.
>
> I agree with you. I think animals and humans always speak to each other. If you think
> about a pet dog or cat, they definitely let you know what they want, what is hurtful,
> and a lot of their emotions through their body language and eyes. This may not be to
> the extent the story describes, but it still exists.

I agree. Obviously authors - especially those who write science fiction- have license to use their imagination but anyone who has a pet can attest that they have ways of communicating with humans that go beyond the use of speech.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

The idea of an animal - human connection can really be seen in various examples of people's relationships with their pets and even wild animals in some cases around the world. It's important to recongize that communication is mostly body language and non-verbal communication, whereas we generally view communication as direct conversations/word communication but in reality, it can mean many other things. I think it can frequently be over emphasized in novels but the idea in general exists.
Scottanthony
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Scottanthony »

It is possible for animals and human to connect and in some way communicate with each other. Animals are sensitive creatures which when love they show it back, for example, dog and cats. Animals feed off humans interaction and vibes towards them, why is this? If you should take notice when a owner of a pet enters the home that animal becaomes happy, they start to jump up and down on their owner and other stuff their comfortable doing. Now although animals cannot speak in a language where humans can understand, they give off body language which indicates to us as human what their trying to say. On the other hand animals such as dog can understand what human say to them, how is it possible? That's a question i await to be answer.
To what extend is the connection between human and animals fiction. On a scale of 1-10 I'll say 5
Marvin85
Favorite Book: The Biblical Clock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marvin85.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Marvin85 »

I agree to some extent, people do communicate with animals, but in the story the author exaggerates it in order to highlight the bond between people and their pets.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Leen282 wrote:
> I believe such efficient communication can exist, obviously not based on
> speech but based on body language.

I’m with you on this. Verbal communication between humans and animals sounds rather far fetched. That's crossing into the realm of fantasy.
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
LuciusM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luciusm.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by LuciusM »

Animals and human can communicate but not to an extent of mouth to mouth. Animals will listen and decode what humans are speaking but will respond by action. For the case of this novel, I see it as a fantasy.
simplybyjenn
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simplybyjenn.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by simplybyjenn »

I believe a strong connection can exit between someone and another animal. There are ways of communication that are nonverbal and I think all animal speicies can connect through understanding the emotions of one another. You can feel that trust with another. I think the author just build on that real world connection that can take place for this fantasy world which I do not think was over the top.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

Elvis Best wrote:
> I feel the author overdid it a bit there. It was easier for me to believe
> it in the beginnings, but later it all just like flat out fantasy. I don't
> think humans can have full on conversations with animals in real life
> though. There can be a strong connection, for sure, but full on
> conversations are another thing altogether.
I agree 100%. The rest of the book managed to stay somewhat grounded in reality, and the conversations with the wolves totally took me out of the story.
Beckygithui1994
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Beckygithui1994 »

animal and human connections are very possible and not entirely fiction. they too have a spirit and when a human being finds a way to communicate from that place, relationships do develop.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

While human and animals can communicate, I feel it is hard to believe that Grand can talk with the wolf in such as way. I would think they can guess what other side wants to talk but not in a full language communication. However, this is a fiction book, it does not impact me to read on. And I thought it is interesting to each human and animal talk in this book.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”