Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Re: Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Post by Laura Mich »

Zubayydah wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 17:39 Agreed. I personally had a deep connection with my dogs. Especially when it comes to our emotions. A person could be feeling sad and their pet picks up on their mood and tries to offer comfort. It is a beautiful connection to have. It definitely exists in real life.
Human and pet (especially dogs and cats) connection is always revolutionary. Dogs may not communicate with their owner through word of mouth but they often feel a multitude of emotions towards their owners.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Elvis Best wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 22:32 I feel the author overdid it a bit there. It was easier for me to believe it in the beginnings, but later it all just like flat out fantasy. I don't think humans can have full on conversations with animals in real life though. There can be a strong connection, for sure, but full on conversations are another thing altogether.
This is a fair point. I believe the author overdid the connection between Grant and Shadow to a make-believe level.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Leen282 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 04:10 I believe such efficient communication can exist, obviously not based on speech but based on body language.
This is realistic. I totally agree that humans and animals can communicate based on body language. In this volume however, the communication between Grant and the wolves is way beyond limit. The author exaggerated it to a point of fantasy.
Loads Rails
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zinda-lukman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Loads Rails »

It sounds like a strong connection between a human and an animal. But in my opinion I think it is totally possible to happen. Although to a small extent the author did too much with it.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I believe communication is possible but not to an extent where we can chit chat with the animal. But I think anything is possible when it comes to fantasy.
Peggy911
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peggy911.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Peggy911 »

I believe conversation between humans and animals can be greatly achieved especially with sign language. There is a deep connection between human and animals, this started from creation.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

There will always be a connection between human and animals in the way they respond to human behavior such as excitement or fear so I truly believe the connection Grant had with Shadow.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

Human to animal connections are not entirely fictional. I have seen animals that have deep connections to their owners or some people it brought them to tears when the person dies.. Or meets them after a long time apart. Pet animals also do seem to note when one is sad and tries to comfort them
Zubayydah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zubayydah.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zubayydah »

It definitely goes to show that deep connections can be made across species. Be it human to pet, or between two pets. Cats and dogs, aside from fighting a lot, can be very protective of each other when they live together.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

It is possible for humans to have connections with animals, especially domesticated animals. However Grant and Shadow's communication was a little too over the top.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think the way the writer describes the animal communication makes it seem rather far-fetched. It almost has a sort of Aslan from Narnia sort of feel to it. People who are around animals often forget how well your pets know you. People talk of having friends that they can answer questions for or, when two friends say the same thing at the same time. Think about how much time people spend around their pets and consider how acute a dog or cats senses are. My sister and I brought my young daughters to see the Lipizzaner stallions. Part of the wonder of these horses is the bond they seem to have with their riders as it's really hard to determine how a rider signals the horse to perform the next "trick". Apparently, the horse really pays attention to the rider. As the moves of the horse were originally used in war, it was probably pretty essential to the life of the soldier that he had a good bond with his horse.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I've read about various types of research where it's been determined that dogs have evolved to become better at reading facial expressions in order to better understand and communicate with humans. Things like that make me believe that being able to communicate with animals that we have relationships with is definitely possible. However, that's not to say we can have full on conversations with animals. I think it's more of an understanding of each other's emotions and intentions
Rayne Sheffer
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayne-sheffer.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Rayne Sheffer »

I think that what happened when Grant first met Shadow is what real life is like. I'd call it a "vibe", as we communicate through vibes instead of words. When Shadow was trying to get Grant to follow him to the plant that would heal his scratch, that was a "follow me" vibe that happens in real life - that and showing Shadow that the other people were friendly. I don't think we'll ever get to communicate with words that are completely understood by both sides, though. Unless someone learns how to speak in woofs and barks like it's a different language, but that seems pretty complicated and far off.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think animals do understand humans to a certain extent, but that kind of bond takes time to develop. Even dogs sometimes sense their human's emotions and react to it.
Tia22
Currently Reading: Nadira
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tia22.html
Latest Review: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence by Jennie Linnane

Post by Tia22 »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:21 Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
I think that it is possible for a human to have strong connections and bonds with animals, and even communicate in some ways, but I do not think that it is realistic for them to hear each other’s words clearly in their minds.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”