Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Nidhi_391005
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nidhi-391005.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Re: Animal/Human connections- To what extent is this science “fiction”?

Post by Nidhi_391005 »

Leen282 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 04:10 I believe such efficient communication can exist, obviously not based on speech but based on body language.
There are also many people who communicate with there dog and i would say that the dogs do understand in some or the other way. So yeah, I do agree that human and animals can communicate.
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:21 Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
Due to the fairy tales and fantasies we are used to reading from our childhood, our unconscious mind may have made to believe that this is possible. However, I do not think this can be possible in real life. Yes, we have seen some animals understand some gestures and we too understand them at times. but not entirely.
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

The basic "animal" instincts that exist between humans and other animals can permit us to believe that there is indeed, the possiblity of some level of connection & communication between humans and animals. Certain animal species like dogs have their senses quite advanced enough to relate to some level of communication with humans. When used in fictional stories like this one, it can best be applied for the purpose of emphasizing the fantasy elements of the story and for fun.
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

This specific part reminded me of Avatar, when he connected with the, forgive me for forgetting their name but, creatures that fly. He is able to make that connection with the creature and although it isn't realistic I could see the respect that they had for one another. With pets too, my friends have a dog and she is the cutest thing ever, she has found out exactly what times they will be done with their meetings now and the moment they are she comes to them with a toy. This is communication in my opinion, just very unconventional communication :lol: .
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

Well, that's what makes fantasy what it is—so many things left to be pondered on. For effective communication between humans and animals, I believe it is achievable. However, not any way by speech but by signs and body languages.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Post by Fola Moni »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 06 Jul 2020, 07:21 Grant has an obvious connection with “Shadow.” While it seems a little more in-depth than even some of the strongest human/animal connections we know exist, is it totally unrealistic? Is it possible for a human to communicate so efficiently with another animal?
Communicate, yes. Efficiently, I think the jury is still out on that one. Efficient communication goes beyond mere talking and listening. I think achieving the level of connection Grant has with Shadow in real life is still light years away in reality.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

I think it is very realistic. Body language and action that is unspoken can provide such type of a relationship. At times a dog can understand its owner so much it knows when there is trouble or knows to go and get help or to defend. I saw a dog going to sleep on my friend's lap and whimpered because he was upset. usually, the dog would just be jumping around, barking excitedly and making so much noise.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

There's a very strong possibility, Infact let me rephrase that, it's possible to make a connection with an animal, but not a normal human like conversation though. It'll be more of a connection based on feelings and expressions.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

The way some humans are seen to be interacting with animals in real life, it seems possible to an extent. Fantasy has a creative advantage over life and so maybe it is possible in the fictional world of Zona.
cameronleung
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cameronleung.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by cameronleung »

As we are all living beings, there is a sort of communication between everything through instincts, natural responses, expressions, and body language. These interpretations of expression that occurred in the beginning felt more believable, but the telekinesis in the later parts of the book leaned towards fantasy.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

In the beginning, I found it hard to believe the conversation between Grant and shadow. As the action built up, I realized that communication is not always through word of mouth. Body language is also an essential way of communication.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Marxell wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 13:05 I believe deep connection can exit between someone and another animal. But to some extent the author did too much with that.
I believe the author was trying to emphasize on the importance of body language as a way of communication.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Prachi Randeria wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 11:49 Humans and animals can communicate. I have seen many pet owners interact quite nicely with their pets. I strongly believed the connection between Grant and Shadow in the beginning but it lost its charm in the end and felt like pure fantasy.
I agree with the owner-to-pet communication. I however disagree with the latter statement. In my own opinion, the connection between Grant and Shadow strengthened as the narrative advanced rather than in the beginning.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

NellyDee29 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 10:21 Human and animals can communicate, we see alot of people connect really well with their pets. And this cannot be achieved without a good communication between them. But I think here they went to an extent where I would call fantasy.
I also agree with the fact that the author overstretched the connection between Grant and Shadow to a fantasy level.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 23:12 In many fantasy novels (with dragons especially), there always seems to be a “telepathic communication” component that unbreakably links the mythical creature to the protagonist. Those silent bits of dialogue seem to help solidify the sense of mystery and intrigue. I think it fit well with what the author was trying to convey with dire wolves in this story.
The telepathic connection is also common in fantasy books featuring werewolves and humans. There's always a sort of body language communication that helps harden the sensation of interest and enigma.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”