Unforbid the "Forbidden Land"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Re: Unforbid the "Forbidden Land"

Post by Laura Mich »

Sjtoy wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 14:08 The explorers had to get special permits from their government just to go on their trip. In order for Zona to no longer be forbidden, I feel expeditions would need to return with evidence of what Zona has to offer. Even then, I feel the government in this story would only allow select groups to go- not only because of the danger but also because of the potential wealth they could gain from the plants and animals within.
Explorers would not sojourn the land of Zona without special permit from the government. In addition, animals like wolves and other special nature thrived best in absence of humans.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Zona should remain the forbidden land to help preserve the plants and animal as the author puts it in the book. However, in a scenario where Zona could be unforbidden do you think the interaction could change, like humans could cause negative impacts to the unforbidden land.
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

The government regulates Zona because it believes that it is unsafe. But the governmentcan make it safe by removing all the things that makes it forbidden.
MayaRegina
Currently Reading: Subversive Lives
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaregina.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MayaRegina »

Humans are naturally dominant species so anything they occupy, they have to dominate as we are all aware in real life. Zona was forbidden so wolves, tundras and other species will thrive undisturbed. Maybe allow access to some people who can find cures or something but to make profit from it or milk it dry for ones advantage is a scenario we are all familiar with.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Zona will eventually be "unforbidden" as more people become interested in the mysterious deaths of those who never return. Somebody is going to slip up and reveal it.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Just the danger of being in such a cold place likely makes the place "forbidden." Even in the U.S., one has to have a permit of some sort to go to state parks, some places are more popular than others (I hear) and it's hard to "get in" - it's like there's a waiting list or something. Although there may be more to it than that (if you haven't read the book I don't want to spoil it), the whole thing seems more foreboding, I think, because Russian's still stereotypically don't convey friendliness and laxity with rules. Unless you know friendly Russians.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I guess we should ask if Zona should be made Unforbidden.

How can it be Unforbidden? Well, the same government that made it forbidden would have to change that. Or, a different government.

I do think it should stay Unforbidden though.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Zona should not be unforbidden. Ancient animals are still roaming the place, which makes them valuable. Humans have a tendency of causing destruction to precious plant and animal life. Zona should simply remain as is.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I think it should remain forbidden. There is a mystery that will lose its charm if the land is unforbidden. Not to mention the gross commercialization it would lead to if the government grants permission to everyone.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

Zona has a lot to offer and I hope it stays forbidden. Humans tend to get greedy. They'll just keep going back to get more and more with every expedition which will result in loss of ecosystem and lead to animals and plants becoming extinct. It will lose all its charm.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by MysticSpade »

After reading some of the other replies, I have to agree that Zona should stay forbidden to preserve it's beauty. Humans have a natural tendency to destroy instead of nurture. So to be able keep something as beautiful and pure as Zona untouched is the ultimate goal.
Akshobhya B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshobhya-b.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Akshobhya B »

Through government intervention Zona could become a "nice place". All we need to do is kill the wildlife, destroy of the flora, bomb the surroundings and it'd be a habitable place for us. This was probably the reason why the group of explorers decided to not let the outside world know every detail about Zona and why it should always be a forbidden land.
Quinton Lester
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinton-lester.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Quinton Lester »

For the better good of the ecosystem I believe it should be forbidden. It is not suitable for humans and the land has thrived without our interference. Granted the animals show a level of intelligence to be studied and plant life that could be used for medical research, but knowing humans we will destroy it harvesting until its depleted of all it once naturally was
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Zona should not become unforbidden! If it does, all those beautiful animals and plants will become extinct rapidly. No way, making Zona unforbidden is a terrible idea😅.

The government has the power to make Zona unforbidden. If they even found out what's in Zona, they would want to gain profit from it and not make it unforbidden.
Donald Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donald-trust.html
Latest Review: Rosa by Barbara de la Cuesta

Post by Donald Trust »

I think the key to Zona becoming u forbidden lies in Randall's journal.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”