Unforbid the "Forbidden Land"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Re: Unforbid the "Forbidden Land"

Post by Yasmira_M »

Zona being forbidden is what makes the book interesting. I don't think it should become unforbidden.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Yasmira_M wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 05:51 Zona being forbidden is what makes the book interesting. I don't think it should become unforbidden.
I wasn't thinking of this book. Maybe it could generate more adventures in a sequel, or, at least, something bad could happen to determine those who "unforbid" it to remove the relaxation.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

I think the simplest thing is its geography and location. Apart from the permits required, it's a genuine risk to reach Zona. You can either get attacked by the animals or freeze to death without proper equipment. And forget air travel because of the intense fog.
So it has to remain forbidden by default!
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

VSuraj wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 17:05 I think the simplest thing is its geography and location. Apart from the permits required, it's a genuine risk to reach Zona. You can either get attacked by the animals or freeze to death without proper equipment. And forget air travel because of the intense fog.
So it has to remain forbidden by default!
Yes, or only unforbid for the bold and the daring, at their own risc and peril. 8-)
antilochos
Currently Reading: How to Define Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by antilochos »

Kreads1 wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 08:51 I think Zona should remain forbidden. The plant and animal life there has thrived and it seems that the limited human contact has benefited the area. Decisions made at the end of the book lead me to believe that the characters recognize this, and are leery of sharing much about what they learned in their expedition.

I think about rainforests, they were thriving, now human involvement has put them in danger. I wouldn’t want the same to happen in Zona!
I agree. With so many places destroyed us humans these days, we should preserve as much natural reservoirs we have, even in fiction.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

Sometimes for enviromental preservation, authorities do declare an area of land as forbidden in order to keep the place as a game reserve. This is what happened in Zona, so it can remain forbidden
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

I believe that it cannot be unforbidden, since the fact of its taboo makes the story much more thrilling. It could be unforbidden in the last sequel when the whole story meets its end.
cturnerwill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cturnerwill.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by cturnerwill »

For Zona to remain an unforbidden territory, the area should not be explored. The explorers pioneered their way into the environment with a plan to overcome the ecological barriers that presented challenges; the weather conditions, wildlife, food supply, living conditions, etc., were all figured out for containment of safety for the expedition. Keep in mind; the second expedition was better planned than the first. The transport of the electric generators, electric fencing, food storage, climate controls, etc., paved the way into the complicated condition with the amenities of modern protection self-sustaining of the comforts conducive for surviving the treacherous expedition. Man's ingenuity and creativity find ways to cultivate and develop land to make it useable for survival. Since the expedition proved otherwise, I would assume the opposite if the conditions were to remain unforbidden, the passage would be impossible and unachievable for human survival.
Jessluvs2read3
Currently Reading: F*ck Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessluvs2read3.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Jessluvs2read3 »

In my opinion I think that Zona should remain forbidden. The wild life, plants and climate would be changed if people were allowed to visit at their leisure. It’s such a special place with so much to offer. Therefore, only specific scientists should be granted permission to enter for research purposes only.
eddhee_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eddhee_ »

One of the intriguing part of the book 'Zona' is the forbidden prefix that goes with it. It should remain so for same reasons it was called that in the first place.
Primetjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primetjay.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Primetjay »

Making Zona unforbidden has implications for me which include that the government will be willing to remove all the obstacles that are imminent danger to human lives and secondly Zona won't be as preserved as it used to be
zeus_dy15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeus-dy15.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by zeus_dy15 »

I also agree that is should stay as being forbidden. I like how it makes the book much more mysterious.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Both human and botanical life in Zona seems to thrive well with minimal human interface. The fact that life is better with less human connections makes Zona Forbidden.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Prachi Randeria wrote: 29 Jul 2020, 04:42 I think Zona should remain forbidden. It is best for the flora and fauna that thrived there without human interferene. Also, such restricting measures were taken for the safety of people.
Additionally, the fact that Grant can communicate with wolves makes Zona forbidden.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Haywhyre7 wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 05:56 I think it should remain forbidden...firstly because it was made forbidden by the government for safety reasons as the terrain around the zone was unapproachable and unsafe and also because of the special nature and wildlife which thrived with the absence of humans
The fact that animals thrived well without the help of humans makes the land even more Forbidden. It is natural for humankind to dominate over plant and animal life. However, it is different in Zona.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”