Unforbid the "Forbidden Land"

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Re: Unforbid the "Forbidden Land"

Post by Laura Mich »

Sjtoy wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 14:08 The explorers had to get special permits from their government just to go on their trip. In order for Zona to no longer be forbidden, I feel expeditions would need to return with evidence of what Zona has to offer. Even then, I feel the government in this story would only allow select groups to go- not only because of the danger but also because of the potential wealth they could gain from the plants and animals within.
Explorers would not sojourn the land of Zona without special permit from the government. In addition, animals like wolves and other special nature thrived best in absence of humans.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Zona should remain the forbidden land to help preserve the plants and animal as the author puts it in the book. However, in a scenario where Zona could be unforbidden do you think the interaction could change, like humans could cause negative impacts to the unforbidden land.
Hames
Currently Reading: Worlines
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hames.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Hames »

The government regulates Zona because it believes that it is unsafe. But the governmentcan make it safe by removing all the things that makes it forbidden.
MayaRegina
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayaregina.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MayaRegina »

Humans are naturally dominant species so anything they occupy, they have to dominate as we are all aware in real life. Zona was forbidden so wolves, tundras and other species will thrive undisturbed. Maybe allow access to some people who can find cures or something but to make profit from it or milk it dry for ones advantage is a scenario we are all familiar with.
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Nqobile771 »

Zona will eventually be "unforbidden" as more people become interested in the mysterious deaths of those who never return. Somebody is going to slip up and reveal it.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: House of the Dead
Currently Reading: The Auto Boys' Mystery
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Just the danger of being in such a cold place likely makes the place "forbidden." Even in the U.S., one has to have a permit of some sort to go to state parks, some places are more popular than others (I hear) and it's hard to "get in" - it's like there's a waiting list or something. Although there may be more to it than that (if you haven't read the book I don't want to spoil it), the whole thing seems more foreboding, I think, because Russian's still stereotypically don't convey friendliness and laxity with rules. Unless you know friendly Russians.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
zainherb
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: The Not So Great American Novel by James E. Doucette

Post by zainherb »

I guess we should ask if Zona should be made Unforbidden.

How can it be Unforbidden? Well, the same government that made it forbidden would have to change that. Or, a different government.

I do think it should stay Unforbidden though.
:techie-reference:

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”