Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
RHD
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Re: Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Post by RHD »

We haven't even unraveled half of what there is. How do we then claim factually what is fiction and science. Perhaps, most likely, some fictitious stuff might actually be scientific!
Bigwig1973
Favorite Book: House of the Dead
Currently Reading: The Auto Boys' Mystery
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I have not read a lot of science fiction, probably a short story by Asimov and some things by Vonnegut that might fall under the category of science fiction. It seems to me that you define sci-fi as something that cannot be true. You defend your argument against it being sci-fi by implying that what they are doing, finding new (and previously old) species of animals, and then the whole plant and hormone thing, is not fiction, but rather science. I guess I never thought science fiction carried the connotation of being scientifically impossible. The story just has to be made up to make it "fiction" - a made up story that has a scientific theme or undertones. Regardless of how one defines science fiction, I agree that this doesn't feel sci-fi. Maybe it's how the sci-fi aspect was presented; it's kind of an answer or explanation as to what happened to Randall and his team, making this still a crime or mystery novel.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”