Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Post by AlexisLib »

I have read much more fantasy than science fiction. As I was reading Zona, I kept waiting for the science fiction, and it really didn't appear until halfway through the book. Is that normal for science fiction books?

And when it finally did appear, as prehistoric animals and different hormones and chemicals and vegetation, at first I was like, is that all there is? With fantasy, magic or unusual things appear very quickly, within the first few pages, and then there's tons of other occurrences. I think one could even argue that the science fiction elements weren't really science fiction at all, we are always discovering new animals and plants in the jungles and other areas that haven't been fully explored yet.

What did you think about the science fiction in this book? Is the type and amount of science fiction typical for books in this category?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel is a bit borderline as the lost world theme was famous before modern science fiction existed, so I'm not surprised that the sci-fi element became explicit only in the second part. Possibly the novel is targeted to readers who usually don't read science fiction.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Koketso1998
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koketso1998.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Koketso1998 »

This novel is a must for science fiction and mystery lovers. I say it's a science fiction due to the altercations between characters and animals.
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

The Science fiction elements in thus book seems to be just the right quantity. I personally don't enjoy too much science fiction, which are usually unrealistic anyway.
riyosha
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riyosha.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by riyosha »

It really depends on the novel. There's honestly no norm for when to introduce the science fiction elements. A lot of science fiction/fantasy books, or even movies, may have barely any sci-fi/fantasy elements at all.
If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

The lines between science fiction and fantasy often get blurred, they're both lovely genres so I see no faults in this book leaning more towards one or the other.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

It de[ends on the book some are more overt with aliens and spaceships but others like Zona are more subtle and are set in the present or close to the present and the science fiction elements are less obvious.
Sjtoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sjtoy.html
Latest Review: Marriage Maximized by William Hutcheson

Post by Sjtoy »

I felt this book was of the science fiction genre. Although it did not jump in to the true science fiction elements right away, the beginning half of the story offered a good build up for the plot and what was to come. This book reminded me much of the Jurassic Park world.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I always thought I was not into science fiction, but after reading several books categorised as sich in this platform I changed my mind. I like this type of sci-fi, or if it's only called fantasy that works for me as well. I don't know enough about the genre to have a clear definition.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Leen282 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 15:01 I always thought I was not into science fiction, but after reading several books categorised as sich in this platform I changed my mind. I like this type of sci-fi, or if it's only called fantasy that works for me as well. I don't know enough about the genre to have a clear definition.
I did not know I liked it, either, and have trouble differentiating the two as well. So would stories like Star Wars be sci-fi or fantasy, or both?
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 17:58
Leen282 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 15:01 I always thought I was not into science fiction, but after reading several books categorised as sich in this platform I changed my mind. I like this type of sci-fi, or if it's only called fantasy that works for me as well. I don't know enough about the genre to have a clear definition.
I did not know I liked it, either, and have trouble differentiating the two as well. So would stories like Star Wars be sci-fi or fantasy, or both?
For me, Star Wars would be the kind of sci-fi I don't like.
jerick_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerick-12.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by jerick_12 »

I think both may be present in a novel. It depends on how the author tackles it. Even though science fiction and fantasy differs from each other, both are still bound by some rules that they have to follow. Regarding Zona, I believe that it is science fiction.
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

It's very unusual for the fiction aspect of a book to start at a late point. It was kind of weird to me. I really prefer it when fiction books start with the fantasy part in the first pages.
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Leen282 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 01:33
For me, Star Wars is a something like space opera. This is not real sci-fi, but a hybrid between sci-fi and fantasy, where beautiful princesses, swords and magic coexist alongside aliens and spaceships.

As for the Zone, stories about a strange place with ancient animals have been popular since the 19th century. The very first book about such a place was "The Lost World" by Arthur Conan Doyle. In this book, the characters find a strange place in the forests of South America, where dinosaurs and ape-like people live. This book is considered science fiction.

However, such stories could only be considered true sci-fi during the time of Arthur Conan Doyle. Now, the Earth is too well studied. Siberia is very large, but even in Siberia one can hardly find such a place. Therefore, "Zone" should be called surreal sci-fi or something like that.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

SunVixen wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 06:06
Leen282 wrote: 22 Jul 2020, 01:33

For me, Star Wars is a something like space opera. This is not real sci-fi, but a hybrid between sci-fi and fantasy, where beautiful princesses, swords and magic coexist alongside aliens and spaceships.

As for the Zone, stories about a strange place with ancient animals have been popular since the 19th century. The very first book about such a place was "The Lost World" by Arthur Conan Doyle. In this book, the characters find a strange place in the forests of South America, where dinosaurs and ape-like people live. This book is considered science fiction.

However, such stories could only be considered true sci-fi during the time of Arthur Conan Doyle. Now, the Earth is too well studied. Siberia is very large, but even in Siberia one can hardly find such a place. Therefore, "Zone" should be called surreal sci-fi or something like that.
You lost me. I love the expression space opera though, I can totally see what you mean even if I have seen only half a movie 😂.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”