Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Re: Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Post by Laura Britos »

rumik wrote:
> The lines between science fiction and fantasy often get blurred, they're
> both lovely genres so I see no faults in this book leaning more towards one
> or the other.

I totally agree with you. Although there are some differences between one genre and the other, they still have a lot of similarities that allow writers to perhaps mix both of them throughout the story
Chikom
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikom.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chikom »

The science fiction and fantasy in this novel kind of balance. You can't say one is more than the other!
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Koketso1998 wrote:
> This novel is a must for science fiction and mystery lovers. I say it's a
> science fiction due to the altercations between characters and animals.
Agreed. After all, fantasy books are mostly categorized as sci-fi and vice versa
_tiyaah
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by _tiyaah »

Science fiction and fantasy are so closely related that sometimes one can be confused for the other and that is what happened in the book it was more fantasy than sci-fi
Yasmira_M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmira-m.html
Latest Review: Days Passed by Mcentry Dunbar II

Post by Yasmira_M »

The book is already fantasy and I don't really think science fiction areas where needed. The book is a combination of both mixed with perfect synchronicity.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

I think it is rightfully categorized as science fiction. I don’t think you need an enormous amount of elements of sci-fi for it to be considered sci-fi. Some books are more subtle.
mraphael1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mraphael1.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by mraphael1 »

I think that science fiction and fantasy can be blended together and the author can mix together the genres. Also sometimes it is hard to differentiate between the two genres. I personally like both genres and don't mind if the novel leans towards one or the other.
marcie_sheeraw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by marcie_sheeraw »

i felt the book was science fictrion although one couldn't tell right away but as you keep on reading the book it definitely comes through and one can see the science fiction.
himawari333
Currently Reading: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Bookshelf Size: 1291

Post by himawari333 »

Nowadays, with the incorporation of elements from multiple genres becoming more and more trendy, I would say that this style of writing is perfectly normal. As we shift from the clear-cut genres and writing styles of classical and modern literature, experimental writing is becoming more apparent in contemporary literature or what some are calling "post-postmodernism". Writers are constantly looking for new ways to express their art in our constantly growing "global community". One of my writing professors actually attributed this to people recognizing that knowledge is interdisciplinary, and therefore should not be categorized into boxes. Much like how some see mathematical equations as poetic or artistic as patterns begin to emerge within them, elements of literary genres such as science fiction and fantasy can blend together in varying concentrations to further the story. After all, it wasn't really that long ago when science and magic were considered one and the same.
Patag Ghosal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patag-ghosal.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Patag Ghosal »

Both science fiction and fantasy are closely inter-related genres with a lot of commonalities. I think what separates true science fiction from fantasy is the former has advanced science and futuristic tech as elements of fiction while fantasy involves magic and otherworldly realms. I really liked the fictional elements in this book and I feel that this is another example of what I feel is a blend of both.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

The sci-fi presented in this book was minimal. I also was expecting star-ships or something from the word that is according to the given genre, then again the fantasy we saw later in the book can still be counted as sci-fi. It's just a different style. Different styles are a breath of fresh air!
antilochos
Currently Reading: How to Define Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by antilochos »

I think that the book is mainly fantasy and that it only mixes up elements of science fiction, instead of being a mashup of those genres...
Adebi
Currently Reading: Of Flame and Light (Weird Girls, #7)
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adebi.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Adebi »

Science fiction and fantasy are so closely related that sometimes one can be confused for the other and so even though the book had some splash that made it seem as though it was fantasy I feel it was science fiction
adhambakry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adhambakry.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by adhambakry »

It all depends on the book. But I believe that the science fiction in this book was sufficient and it was introduced in the right time. It was introduced when the adventure began.
dm1971
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by dm1971 »

I thought the book mixes elements of science fiction and fantasy, not necessarily it being a pure science fiction or fantasy novel. The lost world part of the book is fantasy, while the hormones and chemicals falls under the science fiction part.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”