Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Use this forum to discuss the July 2020 Book of the month, "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Re: Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Post by Drado_27 »

I think that a science fiction and a fantasy genre are almost interchangeable and sometimes it is hard to distinguish which is which. In my opinion, unusual vegetation and prehistoric animals aren't enough to call something science fiction but it definitely has a nuance of it.
ChristinaMokoena
Favorite Book: Crossfire Series
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinamokoena.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by ChristinaMokoena »

I believe Zona is science fiction. I do not generally enjoy this genre as I lean more towards the fantasy world. Zona finds a way not to be too much in science fiction and bombard you with facts of that world, it's only about aways into the book that the science fiction hits you in the face. Therefore overall it is a good way to dip your feet into that world without scaring a first time reader of such a book.
RKeinath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkeinath.html
Latest Review: The Dragon Pillars: Water & Fire by Sanzaki Kojika

Post by RKeinath »

I read a lot of fantasy and science fiction as well. I don't find Zona to be the typical science-fiction in any manner. It starts with a mystery, builds characters, and then finally reveals the science-fiction. I think this novel to be mostly fantasy, particularly the telepathy with dire wolves, and I did not find the explanation of the plants affecting them in that manner to be really believable or steeped in enough science.

I think of science-fiction as there's true science to it either on a quantum physics level, or technological scale, or biological, on a different level than plants making everyone horny. It's a believable science, something that could potentially actually happen, and has a foot in the real-world to back it up. A few examples that I've read are The Martian by Andy Weir, H.G Wells, and Timeline by Michael Crichton. Those are true science-fiction. There are those that blur the lines like Dune by Frank Herbert too, which I also enjoy.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

If it's based on science and scientific knowledge, I think, even with fantasy elements it can still be considered a science fiction book. Or maybe we need a separate category like scientific fantasy, I don't know.
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

I agree with you, the book seemed more fantastical than sci-fi. There were parts that portrayed science fiction parts, mainly the setting and animals.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

Science fiction is not always the only thing a book can contain. It's appropriate that the science fiction aspect of this story appeared at the summation of the book. For a book of this nature, the degree of science fiction in it is moderate.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

Kansas City Teacher wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 17:58
Leen282 wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 15:01 I always thought I was not into science fiction, but after reading several books categorised as sich in this platform I changed my mind. I like this type of sci-fi, or if it's only called fantasy that works for me as well. I don't know enough about the genre to have a clear definition.
I did not know I liked it, either, and have trouble differentiating the two as well. So would stories like Star Wars be sci-fi or fantasy, or both?

Yeah me too actually. I thoroughly enjoyed the Star Wars series. But excessive fantasy elements in a story tend to be a note for me. So I would say a fair amount like used in this story is just fine.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

It still fits in the category of science fiction. It all depends on how the author decides to structure it, and the writing style, but no matter when it's introduced, so far it contains elements of science fiction in it, it's 100% sci-fi.
NisasPieces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisaspieces.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by NisasPieces »

There are so many different genres and sub-genres that we would never place all the books in near boxes. That is what is unique about good books. Though some tries are preferable. This one seems to be hovering in between the blurred line of fantasy and sci-fi, because I guess sci-fi is type of fantasy.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

Sci-fi and fantasy mesh well. However, I would think if the book is listed as Sci-fi and there is little to no sci-fi, science fiction fans might feel a little disappointed. I don't think there's any ratio though or quota of science fiction to fantasy in mixed genres like these. If it is, it should be present in the story and enhance the plot. Once it does this, any amount counts.
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I would say it is sci-fi as the author alternated between people and animals. It doesn't matter whether the sci-me elements appear at the beginning, in the middle, or in the end of the book, you need to list it as sci-fe, right? Before I read, I like to know what I am getting myself into.
Mr_Dark
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Mr_Dark »

Science fiction in the book appears in the right quantity. If there is no fantasy in these books, they will become boring. The scientific elements should be there after halfway so that the book is thrilling and you keep guessing till the end.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

Science fiction is relative to the time referenced. The science fiction of the 18th century would definitely be so mundane to be called sci-fi. I believe Zona isn't out of track.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

I think it depends, as fantasy and sci-fi are often mixed, and I've seen many books where the sci-fi elements come later when more of the world is explained. For instance, then we find out that the world we're reading about is actually an apocalyptic future of our current world. So I don't think it's uncommon or means that Zona isn't sci-fi.
Shatakshi Gauriar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shatakshi-gauriar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Shatakshi Gauriar »

I think sci-fic and fantasy, are both an excellent topic. Sci-fic can create meaning with some scientific tools and make fantasy more appealing. Moreover, it will be fun to understand everything, even if it is a fantasy. And Zona, qualify such descriptive manner.

Return to “Discuss "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker”