Review of Ditching The Ugly Suit

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of Ditching The Ugly Suit

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ditching The Ugly Suit" by Ed Christiano.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winslow is a successful businessman who has just recently gone through a divorce. He comes across a company called Avaclon, one day. They claim they can transfer an individual’s soul into another human body. That individual is then able to continue their life through that person. Intrigued by the whole thing, Winslow decides to become part of this mysterious company. Currently, the public doesn’t know about the company, but what happens when they find out? Things start to get a little crazy as everyone wants a piece of the technology. Can something like this really be good for humanity? Read Ditching the Ugly Suit by Ed Christiano to find out.

When I first chose this book, I didn’t know what to expect. I found the story to be unique and interesting. I think Christiano did a great job of setting the scene. I could picture every transfusion as if it was happening before me. The first time it happened, the scene was very tense and exciting. This really got me hooked on the book. I also liked Christiano’s writing style. I thought it was easy to follow and understand. As for the characters, I think Christiano developed them well, to an extent, but their personalities could have been explored further. Due to this, I was unable to connect to any of the characters.

There were some things I didn’t like. Firstly, the story was fast-paced, and things were happening left and right very quickly. Normally, this is something I would like. However, for this book, I would have preferred it if Christiano slowed down and fleshed out the story more.

Secondly, I didn’t understand where the story was going. I felt like the story was all over the place and too many things were happening at once. Furthermore, I didn’t like that the book kept repeating the same events over and over again. For example, the process of transfusion was repeated to each new person that tried it. Reading it a couple of times was fine, but after a while, it got boring. The story also contained no build-up to a climax. To me, it didn’t feel like there was one. I would have liked some twists and turns, but there were none.

One of the main problems with this book is that there are no important lessons that could be taken away from it. I thought Christiano was going to show us that looks aren’t everything and that we all should embrace ourselves because we all are unique. Unfortunately, this was not mentioned. The book ends on a cliffhanger and I was left with many unanswered questions.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars because of the reasons I mentioned above. This book has the potential to be great with improvements. I did not find any mistakes, so that is great. I recommend this book to adults who enjoy reading science fiction.

Ditching The Ugly Suit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

A lot of soul transfers will take place once this technology becomes a reality. However, if it'll generally make the world a better place by giving humans access to the kind of life they need to be happy, then I don't mind.
QualityAndQuantity
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qualityandquantity.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by QualityAndQuantity »

Man i have not come across a plot as intriguing as this one in this site yet. This seems like a pretty good pick for me as I'm really into ghosts and paranormal stuff. Thanks for the review
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

Wow! I love the plot of this book. Winslow has gotten himself into something that isn't quite known to the public. I would really want to know the mechanism behind their soul transfer. This book would definitely be a good read for me. Thanks for your review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Thanks for your honest feedback. There really are moments when readers need to savour every piece of information given, especially when they are technical. Thanks for the review.
Raymonda onwuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymonda-onwuka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Raymonda onwuka »

Thanks for the wonderful review. The technology mentioned in the story sounds fansinating and amazing.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Post by Adaeze Joan »

Everything about this book spells out uniqueness. The storyline is an intriguing one and I loved that the author gave this book quite an interesting title. Thanks for the review.
Vidhi Adhikari
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

This seems like a interesting concept. Of choosing to live a life in someone else's body. Would love to know what happens in the story. Thanks for writing a review on this one.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always found science fiction to be quite intriguing and able to stir my imagination. This book certainly seems to possess such quality. Will love to try it out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The author picked an interesting concept but seems like he had some problems in developing it properly. A professional editor might help him in that task. I wonder if there will be a sequel to bring the story to some kind of ending. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Pauls_
Currently Reading: A Dagger In The Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul.html
Latest Review: Recognizing Beauty by Cyndi Burrough

Post by Pauls_ »

The author didn't quite elaborate on the themes in the book. Cliffhangers are a no-no for me. Thanks for the honest review.
Sam Oghae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-oghae.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sam Oghae »

The plot of this book is unique but the author failed to write a book that would make the readers stick with it. It could have been a great book.
Thanks for the review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”