Review of After They Came

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gavice Victoria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gavice-v.html
Latest Review: Where Liberty Lies by Nathaniel M Wrey

Review of After They Came

Post by Gavice Victoria »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "After They Came" by Dan Harary.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Jonathan Tucker, a sad and lonely man who had lost all reason and will to live, hit by misfortunes and plagued by regrets, had what could have been the end upturned. On his seventieth birthday, he took a little drive that he planned to never return from but was, instead, given another chance to right his wrongs as not just him, but all of humanity, was gifted a wish list by benevolent beings.

Thrust into an unfamiliar yet beautiful life, one opposite of everything, he must make decisions that would save mankind's future and right their wrongs. As a new beginning ensued for the entire world, he learned about his past and the cause and effect of the present, creating an impossibly perfect future while finding himself again. After They Came by Dan Harary is an exciting book that you shouldn't miss the chance to read.

While reading this, a small part of me hoped this would not just be entirely fiction, and that was one of the things I loved about this book. It was able to incite a feeling of awareness, just in case I forgot for a minute what our world needed. It pinpointed all the ways the world could be better and all the vices we could do without. The empathy I felt from various characters was palpable. This is a science fiction novel about contact with aliens and about a man seemingly living without purpose but suddenly finding one, catapulting him from hopelessness to a beacon of hope for the entire world.

This book highlighted what the right use of power could mean for everyone and vice versa, and the visual representation was so good. Though fictitious, Jonathan Tucker was a man I could consider a role model, not without mistakes or regrets but as an embodiment of selflessness.

After They Came by Dan Harary is set in 2033, and the theme could be perceived as futuristic, which brings me to the part of this book that didn't do it for me. Some parts of the world are still depicted as uncivilized with poor living conditions, which is wrong for representation, and some might find it offensive and stereotypical. If the story is futuristic, then you'd have to adjust to the developments and advancements that each country or race must have gone through. Not considering this in the book is a put-off, but it is subtle in the context used and not enough to knock a star off my rating. Hence, I am rating the book 5 out of 5 stars. This book is recommended for science fiction fans as well as those interested in the lore of the alien/UFO phenomenon. The editing was top-notch, as I found no errors while reading it.

After They Came
View: on Bookshelves
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

A man who has decided to give up on everything is usually a man one must be careful with. They are the most unpredictable and ita dangerous.
Only Joeseph
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only-joeseph.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Only Joeseph »

I love how your review showcases the author's ability to create a compelling narrative that is both entertaining and thought-provoking. Your review is a great resource for anyone looking for a well-written and engaging science fiction novel.
Conrad Writes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conrad-writes.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Conrad Writes »

Science fiction books have always been a random way to uplift my mood. Your review states that anything is possible to achieve, so I will have to pick up a copy of the book as soon as I can
Ikechi Ugochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechi-ugochukwu.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ikechi Ugochukwu »

I believe that the introduction of this review hits that there's always a second chance no matter how damaged we think we are. I enjoyed reading this review. Well done!
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

I appreciate how your review highlights the author's ability to create a compelling narrative that keeps the reader engaged. Your review is a great resource for anyone looking to learn more about this book and its themes.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

It's good to know that the book was professionally edited, which is always a plus. I appreciate the warning about the profanity, which helps me decide whether or not the book is appropriate for me.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

It's great to hear that the editing of the book was flawless, and that there was nothing you disliked about it. Your review has convinced me that this book is a true gem, and I'm excited to add it to my collection. Thank you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently!
James Smith_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-smith-42.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by James Smith_ »

Your review showcases the author's ability to balance social commentary with an engaging narrative. Your review is a great reminder of the power of fiction to make us think about the world around us.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

Your description of the book's plot is very engaging and makes me want to pick up the book immediately. You've done an excellent job of setting up the story, and I'm curious to know more about Jonathan Tucker's journey.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

I appreciate the way you touched on the theme of power and its impact on society in your review. It's a topic that's always relevant and fascinating to explore, and you do a great job of explaining how the book handles it.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

Your review has me feeling like I'm right there with Jonathan Tucker, experiencing his journey and learning valuable lessons about life and the world around us. Your description of the characters and their emotions is so vivid, and it's clear you were really invested in the story.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Post by Emeka Emordi »

I love how you portrayed the main character and the plot of the book in a way that immediately grabs my attention and makes me want to read the book myself. Your review does an excellent job of summarizing the main storyline while still leaving enough to the imagination to make it intriguing.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This book review is so descriptive and engaging! I love how the reviewer captured the essence of the book and presented it in a way that makes me want to read the book. The emotions and empathy created by the author are evident in the review.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Americas Revival by Kathryn Garten and Christopher Garten

Post by Merits Anih »

Your review is a great reminder of the importance of selflessness and empathy in our world today. I appreciate how your review acknowledges the book's flaws but still rates it highly based on its strengths.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”