Review of The Mintrel's Song

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melvis Okoye
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melvis-okoye.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Review of The Mintrel's Song

Post by Melvis Okoye »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mintrel's Song" by Ron Root.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Minstrel's Song: Book Three of the Tales of Graal by Ron Root is a tale of magic and adventure. Sully Rigby and some others were entrusted to bring an end to a demon after bad news about a demon-possessed invader was brought by Affonso to the ears of King Aldridge, Marshal Booker, Archimage Hagley, and others in a meeting. In the course of the adventure, Sully was encountered by a runaway whose name is Lyssa, a minstrel who never wanted to leave his side and claims she wants to put his adventure into a song.

In the course of their adventures, one of the team members, who was a healer, was killed while trying to heal an enemy. Faced with certain vicissitudes, the mates were separated at one point or another. As well, certain historical facts were unraveled to aid their conquest. Ultimately, the demon was killed by one who was cursed for not attending to his destiny in killing a previous demon because he feared death.

I like many things about this book. The tale was quite engrossing but time-demanding. Though the time invested was worth it. I appreciate the author's time invested in writing this book, as is portrayed by how the author wrote the words the characters spoke as if that's how they sounded. Also, the use of unconventional words by the author helped me increase my vocabulary. The narrative was just long enough to make me empathize with the characters as if I were part of the adventure. The narrative weaved in enough background information about the characters for a better experience for readers. The tale was so much like a movie that I began to wonder if the book was a transcript of a movie. The theme of love is also an intricate part of the narrative.

I don't dislike any aspect of this book. Though the book was a bit long, it gave me just enough time to get acquainted with the characters and grasp critical background information about them. After the end of the book, the author listed some terms, places, and their meanings, as well as the characters of the book, and used a few statements to talk about them. I noticed only a few errors while reading this book, which suggests that it was professionally well-edited.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for the reasons I mentioned above. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy themes of magic and adventure.

The Mintrel's Song
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

I had a good impressions from the reviews of the first two books of this series, I just didn't find the time to start it, yet. This new book seems to continue the series' high quality, so it's another reason to start it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”