Review of Caldera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Review of Caldera

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Caldera" by Edy Kubiak.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Edy Kubiak's Caldera is an explosive story that depicts an apocalyptic future. In the state of Wyoming lies the majority of Yellowstone National Park, home to wildlife, rivers, forests, hot springs, geysers, and tourists right on top of a supervolcano. Park employees and expert scientists who study volcanos have monitored Yellowstone for years with no indication of a possible eruption. That is until Dr. William H. Dyer notices changes in its activity. Dr. Dyer attempts to alert the proper authorities, but no one seems to take him seriously. Adrain Critenhauer even gets sent to Yellowstone to keep Dr. Dyer quiet about his findings to avoid causing chaos and panic. If this volcano erupts, millions will die, with most of the U.S., along with parts of Canada and Mexico, will be completely demolished. But that's not all to worry about; this eruption will also awaken a sleeping beast that will, most likely, reign terror on the surviving world.

I enjoyed every aspect of this book. I loved following the multiple storylines of all the different characters. I think Kubiak was brilliant with how they included so many points of view, with my favorites being from the animals and Igar the A.I. The author does a great job organizing and portraying all the stories and how they intertwine with the main plot. It was easy to keep track of all the characters and events taking place. Kubiak's detailed writing allowed me to envision each scene.

I liked how the author created such a realistic fantasy world. All the characters are relatable, even Idaho Joe, who I disliked at first but then came to admire his personal growth. Kubiak is very knowledgeable about volcanos and technology. It was interesting to learn about Yellowstone's volcano. I think it was creative to have this super volcano bring society to its knees.

I was disappointed that the dragon didn't get introduced until the end. But the subplots are so strong and encaptivating that I am still excited to learn what will happen next. For the reasons listed above, I rate this book a 5 out of 5. This book is well-edited. I only found a few errors.

I recommend this book to everyone who loves Sci-fi and fantasy novels. Caldera has a little bit of everything, making it an attention-grabbing read. There is plenty of action and adventure mixed with tragedy and romance. Because of the profanity and light sexual content, I suggest this book to more mature readers.

Caldera
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
McDonald Lauren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonald-lauren.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by McDonald Lauren »

Edy Kubiak's "Caldera" paints a chilling picture of a potential apocalypse brewing beneath Yellowstone. The story delves into the terrifying possibilities of a supervolcano eruption, highlighting the warnings of Dr. William H. Dyer that go unheeded, the potential devastation it could wreak across North America, and the lurking threat of an unleashed terror
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by NetMassimo »

The explosion of Yellowstone's super volcano is a matter of time but I see that in this novel there's much more with a fantasy element. I don't know if I want to read another apocalyptic story but this one seems engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a detailed and positive assessment of Edy Kubiak's Caldera, highlighting its well-developed plot, multiple storylines, relatable characters, and imaginative world-building. The reviewer found the book captivating and praised the author's knowledge of volcanos and technology. The review also mentions some minor criticisms, such as the delayed introduction of the dragon. Overall, this helpful review is sufficient and is likely to motivate readers who enjoy sci-fi and fantasy novels to buy the book. From the reviewer's perspective, Caldera appears to be a worthwhile addition to anyone's library, particularly for more mature readers.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”