Review of The Kings' Assassin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of The Kings' Assassin

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kings' Assassin" by Ed Cannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ed Cannon’s The Kings’ Assassin opens a world governed by the Seven Laws. Sillik, a warrior and master of these laws, returns home to Illicia to find it in turmoil, the royal family having fallen at the hands of a mysterious enemy. Clues left by his late father, the king, and Lady Silvia, one of the Seven, send him on a hunt for his family’s assassins. Traps lie in wait, and age-old alliances get tested. Dark creatures begin making appearances as their dark masters plot and scheme from the shadows. War rises on the horizon, forcing Sillik to uncover the identities of friend and foe while avenging his family.

It’s been a while since a fantasy novel has managed to grip me in its clutches and not let go. Indeed, even before finishing this first instalment, I was already out hunting for The Kings Death, its sequel. Gold Robes, a battle between the Seven Gods and the Nine, and a warrior race with a long history hidden in the sands of the desert? Take my money. To be honest, the tone and narrative of the book aren’t ones that will really evoke loud and surprised reactions in its readers, but personally, I read with a steadily rising anticipation as the different parts of the book began to come together.

The byplay of events is sure to elicit satisfaction in its readers. I’m so grateful Cannon didn’t describe every uppercut, every use of the seven laws, or every scene of Sillik walking broodily into a town’s square, Stetson pulled low, tobacco dangling between his lips—you get the picture. This is not to say important moments weren’t described with crucial detail for one’s imagination; rather, there was a balancing act between worldbuilding, event sequence, quiet moments, pacing, and the setting of the tone that culminated in an enjoyable read.

Is there anything better than a reluctant but resolute and overpowered hero? Sillik is a hit from the start, accepting things with a calm grace under fire that endeared him to me almost immediately. I’m not usually fussy over fictional character names, but I took a liking to his. Over the course of the book, a tragic past is revealed, and compounded with what he is battling—which makes up the plot of the book—I found myself rooting for him time and again. I liked how Cannon set up hints and clues that will, hopefully, validate my suspicions for the upcoming books.

Another favourite was Briana. Cannon has this tendency to tease glimpses of the past without delving too deeply into it, making me curious about the backstories of a great many things. Briana is bold as brass, just as brave and seemingly just as vulnerable. At first, I thought the story would take one turn with her, but then another character’s appearance derailed that train of thought in no time, only to get back on track with a new development, and then again with the whiplash—what a ride. Her fate is deeply intertwined with Sillik’s, and her reactions to certain things are curious enough that one wonders about the romantic angle the story gave way to a time or two.

I have to say, I was impressed by the writing style and the editing. For a book of its significant length, The Kings’ Assassin manages to spin a high fantasy with medieval underpinnings without ever getting corny or bogged down in developmental errors. Regardless, the errors in grammar numbered enough that I doubt it was meticulously or expertly edited. Mature themes call for a similarly mature audience.

It is no surprise, then, that The Kings’ Assassin gets awarded a rating of four out of five stars. Save for the mistakes found, all is well and good in this otherworldly saga. It promises to satisfy fantasy lovers with a taste for adventure, some magical action, and touches of romance. Readers looking for a sword-wielding protagonist who comes with magical prowess won’t be disappointed with The Kings’ Assassin’s offerings.

The Kings' Assassin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic elements of the fantasy genre are used to create an engaging story offering a satisfying adventure. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful overview of "The King's Assassin" and highlights its strong points, such as an intriguing plot, likable characters, and a well-balanced writing style. It may motivate potential buyers with an interest in fantasy, adventure, magic, and some romance. The reviewer's positive experience suggests that the book would be a good addition to someone's library.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, "The King's Assassin" seems to be a gripping and enjoyable high fantasy novel. The reviewer praises the worldbuilding, character development, and plot structure. They appreciate the anticipation and satisfaction that the book elicits. Despite some grammar errors, the writing style and editing are impressive. The reviewer recommends the book for mature fantasy lovers who enjoy adventure, magical action, and hints of romance. Overall, it appears to be a good read with engaging characters and a captivating storyline.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”