Review of Light Burns

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinenye Sus
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-sus.html
Latest Review: Creative Destruction by Alastair Bowman

Review of Light Burns

Post by Chinenye Sus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Light Burns" by Robert Russin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Light Burns by Robert Russin tells a story that blurs the lines between life and the afterlife. The story starts with an unexpected event, challenging Dawn to confront the mysteries of eternal life. This wonderful book revolves around themes of existence, love, and redemption.

Light Burns talks about the afterlife journey of Dawn, who grapples with the transitions from earthly life to eternal existence. She is struck dead by lightning and finds herself in an unfamiliar environment, confused. Through encounters with unique individuals, such as Josephine and Hal, Dawn settles into the ways of eternal life, facing challenges, seeking redemption, and discovering the profound interconnectedness of the universe. There is a strong focus on love, betrayal, and the search for identity, taking most of the characters on a journey of self-discovery, including Dawn.

I love how the book fused details about the afterlife with emotion. I also love the descriptions of the afterlife; descriptions of characters transforming into pulsating lights made the story feel more real. A look into Dawn’s emotional turmoil, especially her journey from confusion to acceptance, is beautifully depicted. The different characters used in the book and their individual struggles make the book have more substance.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I like its imaginative settings, such as Hell Canyon. These environments provide a compelling visual narrative for the storyline of the book. Many have a grim look towards death, including me, so most books that mention death or the afterlife always seem to evoke a feeling of fear in me. However, the inclusion of redemption as well as creating connections with new friends and family as well as connecting with old ones offered a kind of sense of peace, so I was able to enjoy the book well.

There were no grammatical or typographical errors noticed while I read this book, so it was exceptionally edited. I found nothing to dislike about the book and enjoyed several attributes of it, so I am rating Light Burns by Robert Russin 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading fantasy.

Light Burns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by NetMassimo »

The idea behind this novel seems interesting, also for some philosophical implications that make me curious. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

This review provides a positive and glowing recommendation for "Light Burns" by Robert Russin. The reviewer highlights the book's exploration of life, love, redemption, and the afterlife, praising the seamless fusion of emotions and imaginative settings. The reviewer also commends the character development and the absence of grammatical or typographical errors. Overall, it appears that "Light Burns" is a highly engaging and well-edited book, deserving of a 5 out of 5 rating.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”