Review of The Superflare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Review of The Superflare

Post by Okocha Victor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Superflare" by Andrew G. Berger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Can you imagine living in a world where exercising, like pedaling, gives you access to everything you need? You would never need money to purchase anything like internet time, unlimited gaming access and gaming tools, unlimited social media time, and many other pleasurable things. And for introverts, you would never have to meet people. Can you imagine living in a city where there is no waste? Everything is recyclable. What a world that would be!

This book, The Superflare by Andrew G. Berger, is a book about surviving the post-apocalyptic world. The book starts off with predictions about a mega solar storm that caused an EMP that destroyed almost all electronic devices and power supplies. There is a city called the Clean City, where their whole livelihood depends on a super-intelligent AI known as Tron. Can you now picture what it would be like when everything shuts down? What do the people do to carry on living? Did they get things up and running? If yes, how soon? Did they need to do unthinkable things to survive?

The first thing that stood out to me were the plot twists included in this book. Nothing could have prepared me for them. You never really know what extent people go to to survive. We may sometimes feel like we have drawn the line on specific actions, but are those lines drawn when we haven't been faced with a situation that leaves no room for escape? Another exceptional aspect of this book was the storyline; everything fell into place so smoothly, and there were no unnecessarily overly strong characters that beat situations that every average person wouldn't beat. There were no sentimental survivors. Everyone who lived through the experience deliberately fought to stay alive. I loved the characters used in the book. My favourite was Bian. I loved how we got views into different eras, as if the book had different time frames.

This book deserves a high rating for its excellent plot and well-pieced storyline. However, I will only rate it four out of five stars. This rating is due to the poor editorial job of the book. Many errors were found in the book, including in the dialogues, that could have been avoided with proper editing. One negative aspect would also be the length of the book. The novel had me hooked, and I truly enjoyed it; however, readers looking for a quick and enjoyable read will not be able to hold out due to the book's length. It would be good to note that the book contains various instances of major profanity and a hint at rape. I recommend this book to lovers of fiction with specifics about artificial intelligence.

The Superflare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by NetMassimo »

A novel about the consequences of a superflare on human civilization with twists in the tale of what the survivors are ready to do is interesting to me, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to avoid distractions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”