Review of Rogue World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3075
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Circle of Innocents by Stephen D. Curtis

Review of Rogue World

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rogue World" by David Gorglione.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

John Wycliffe and Millatti Freeman work at the Mount Niod Observatory in Southern Chile. In close coordination with other astrophysicists at an observatory in New Queensland, Australia, they have been tracking a planet they have labeled Object X. The time has come for them to notify the government, as this is an abnormal observation; the planet is on a trajectory that will collide with our home, Planet Earth. Everyone and everything on Earth is in danger of total annihilation in approximately ten years. The question arises: What will it take to save humankind and the planet? Is the human race ready to unite to overcome this threat? Is anyone out 'there' watching?

Rogue World, an enthralling science-fiction book by David Gorglione, introduces the reader to a situation where the human race is facing an imminent threat. Unlike past plagues and epidemics that would catch many unaware, everyone knows the Earth-sized object is headed towards the planet, and every foreseeable solution implies only a few can be saved using interstellar ships that will take some years to be completed. Is there another definition of collective-human helplessness other than this? Undoubtedly, the tale itself is thrilling, packed with numerous twists and turns. However, all is not dark and gloomy in the book; some human traits remain unchanged regardless of the prevailing circumstances.

David perfectly balances between the factual and the imagined, creating a gripping story down to the last page, where the ending itself is equally perfect. One of the key issues that popped up constantly as I read the book is whether humankind is ready for interstellar travel and its implications, particularly the technologies to be employed. In Rogue World, some generals are bent on gaining a military advantage over their rivals, and there are spies seeking intelligence for the latter. Amazingly, the human race would quickly forget the consequences of an imminent threat and resort to the status quo.

The characters in the book are well-developed, and the plot is thrilling, making me turn one page after another, anxiously waiting to know the outcome. I enjoyed the fact that the characters are relatable, making thought-provoking statements that could apply to humanity in general. Rogue World also looks at the issue of governance, especially instances where individuals begin running the affairs of a country without the knowledge of the legitimate leaders. Additionally, the fact that the scenes change between different states and countries adds a layer of adventurism to the story.

However, the numerous grammatical errors and misspellings resulted in my rating of three out of five stars, deducting two stars for the sloppy editing. Anyone who likes science fiction books will enjoy reading this. Readers ought to be aware the book contains some sex scenes and swearwords.

Rogue World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel, so I see what you mean concerning sloppy editing. Still, I appreciated the author's fantasy in developing the story around the rogue world and I hope he revises his novel to fulfill its potential. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

From your review, the book presents a gripping narrative with a looming existential threat to Earth. The urgency and complexity of the situation raise profound questions about humanity's ability to unite in the face of a common peril. The prospect of an impending collision with Object X adds layers of tension and uncertainty. The storyline seems to invite exploration of themes such as global cooperation, collective decision-making, and the potential for intervention from external entities.
Lisa P Cowling
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-p-cowling.html
Latest Review: The Human of All by Ryan Parrett

Post by Lisa P Cowling »

I would actually like to see how this book plays out. I believe that fear itself is great than the actual disaster. How does it feel to know that you have be crushed by an impending disaster? What choices are made?
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Immigrant Hustle by Amine Rahal

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Thank you for sharing your detailed review of "Rogue World" by David Gorglione. Your insights into the plot, character development, and thematic elements provide a comprehensive overview. It's unfortunate to hear about the grammatical errors affecting your rating.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Based on the review, "Rogue World" by David Gorglione seems to be an enthralling science fiction book with a gripping plot filled with twists and turns. The well-developed characters and thought-provoking statements make it an enjoyable read. However, the numerous grammatical errors and misspellings deducted two stars from the rating. Overall, for science fiction enthusiasts, this book appears to be worth reading despite the need for better editing.
Timothy Gye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-gye.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Timothy Gye »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review, Your detailed analysis highlights the author's skillful blend of science and marketing concepts, enriched by engaging personal anecdotes. It's encouraging to see the positive impact of real-world examples and the effectiveness of practical insights. Your thorough appreciation, including the absence of dislikes and recognition of the well-edited content, reinforces the book's value. Your 5-star rating and recommendation make a compelling case for readers!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”