Review of What a Strange World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
John Owen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-owen.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus
2024 Reading Goal: 52
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Review of What a Strange World

Post by John Owen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What a Strange World" by Stephen M Ricketts.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Steve was playing in the woods and got lost near his home. He discovered a strange hole with lights coming off it and found a globe inside it. The weather became grumpy, but he found a way out of the hole and back home, carrying the globe with him. Little did he know that he had carried a family of little people inside the globe back home (they included Grampa, Grandma, Sue, Lorraine, Tiny, Nosey, Gavin, and Boring). The little people were in for an exciting adventure at Steve's house, having fun and getting into all sorts of trouble. Grab "What a Strange World" by Stephen M. Ricketts to read about their adventure and if the little people got back to their home.

This story sounded like a scene straight out of "Smurfs" or "Minions," and that's where all the fun is! The little people fuss all around Steve's house, and their innocence and how they were just themselves made the book intriguing to read. I can't say how many parallels I drew from the story in this book and the two cartoon films I've mentioned above. However, the book does add its own unique touch to all this spin. For the umpteenth time since I started reading this book, I feel like being a child or a kid all over again! And I'm surprised — and pleased as well — that I really enjoyed the book. It's a pity I'm not near children who can appreciate it, but I may buy a paperback or hardcover copy to gift to my nephew when I get to visit them. Perhaps I may even keep one for my own children, should God bless me with some!

This book earns 5 out of 5 stars without a second thought. It was fun to read, and I don't see anything to criticize about it. The editing was also excellent. The writing style is more suited for children, but I can assure you that anybody will definitely enjoy this book.

What a Strange World
View: on Bookshelves
Harmony in chaos. It's all a matter of perspective.
Adam Bryce Stern
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adam-bryce-stern.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Adam Bryce Stern »

An interesting review that did the novel adequate justice. It's connection to smurfs which is ironically one of my favourite cartoons make me want to read it the more. Congrats on a beautiful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

Honestly, this seems not my kind of book but it's probably great for readers who like the smurfs, minions, and similar stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”