Review of Kalani

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Bear Against the Sun by Otto Lehrack

Review of Kalani

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kalani" by Jolene Fine.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Kalani: Shadows of Destiny by Jolene Fine is a science fiction novel chronicling the journey of Zach and Desiree towards letting go, submision, and acceptance of their fate in a land known as Kalani.

The story is set on Kalani, a fictitious land where everyone is immortal. Zach opens the story, having been denied his petition once again. At the observatory, he makes up his mind to go after his girlfriend, Gretchen, who is on Therma. Desiree, on the other hand, has been moved from home to home without permanence. She craves family and loves Yu. However, both Gretchen and Yu are not within reach of Zach or Desiree. Along the way, in his quest to save Gretchen, Zach disobeys Magnar and refuses to bend to his will. This costs him his liahona. A prophecy surrounds Desiree and it begins to manifest after she battles the soldiers of Awry. Would these two different people, with destinies linked together, be able to overcome their personal interests and submit to Magnar in order to achieve a higher purpose?

Kalani: Shadows of Destiny is not your typical light-versus-dark story. It embodies more than that. The author writes about leaving one's past, no matter how glorious or sad it is and submitting to a higher authority. Jolene Fine takes us to an entirely different world. In her world, the saved ones have a higher calling and for them to get to their purpose, they only have to yield to the will of Magnar, even when they do not understand his plans at the moment. I think the book adopts the beliefs of life after death, immortality, and true submission to God. It stresses the importance of forgiveness and true repentance. This is seen in the case of Desiree's foster father. Additionally, this book is laced with light humor. I especially love the part where Rafikki, Djmon, and Makalo played a prank on Zach by making him think that they were shadow snatchers. The twist got me rolling with laughter.

The negative aspect of the book was that there were lots of little errors that could have been avoided by proper editing. Also, the name Rafiki is spelled both "Rafiki' and "Rafikki' in the book. These two variations are used repeatedly. So I picked one spelling while writing my review. Apart from this, I love every chapter in this book. I intend to read the next book in the series.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I had to remove one star because I found so many errors in it.

I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction and adventure.

Kalani
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel uses some classic tropes of fantasy and science fiction to create what seems like an engaging story full of adventure and also including some important themes. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Severed Roots
Bookshelf Size: 1024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not sure that the fantasy genre is for me. Even with this one I have trouble with the light symbolic between Magyar and God. I do like science fiction, though, so I might try it. Thanks!
McDonald Lauren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcdonald-lauren.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by McDonald Lauren »

"Kalani: Shadows of Destiny" by Jolene Fine takes readers on an intriguing journey through the immortal realm of Kalani, where Zach and Desiree grapple with their destinies. The narrative weaves elements of love, defiance, and a higher purpose, creating a compelling story of self-discovery and submission to fate.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides helpful insights into the book "Kalani: Shadows of Destiny" by Jolene Fine. While there are some editing errors mentioned, the reviewer finds the story engaging and praises its exploration of themes such as submission and forgiveness. The reviewer also appreciates the humor in the book. Overall, the review appears sufficient in giving potential readers a clear understanding of the book's unique world and themes. It could motivate science fiction and adventure lovers to consider adding this book to their library, despite the few errors mentioned.
Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minaxiben-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: Immigrant Hustle by Amine Rahal

Post by Minaxiben Chandrakant Patel »

Your review of "Kalani: Shadows of Destiny" by Jolene Fine provides a comprehensive and insightful overview of the science fiction novel. You effectively convey the essence of the storyline, focusing on the journey of the main characters, Zach and Desiree, and their exploration of themes such as letting go, submission, and acceptance of fate.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review provides an insightful perspective on the science fiction novel "Kalani: Shadows of Destiny" by Jolene Fine. Despite praising the book's exploration of letting go and submitting to a higher authority, the reviewer mentions numerous errors that could have been avoided through proper editing. Overall, the reviewer enjoyed the book, appreciating its themes, humor, and twists. With a rating of 4 out of 5 stars, the book appears to be a good read, particularly for fans of science fiction and adventure.
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Azaz Raja »

Thank you for your review of "Kalani: Shadows of Destiny" by Jolene Fine. You appreciated the deeper themes of leaving the past behind and submitting to a higher authority portrayed in the book. The world-building and humorous elements also resonated with you, particularly the prank played on Zach. However, you noted several editing errors and inconsistencies in the spelling of character names, which detracted from your reading experience. Despite this, you enjoyed the book overall and intend to read the next installment. Your rating of 4 out of 5 stars reflects your positive impression despite the issues you encountered. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommending the book to science fiction and adventure enthusiasts.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”