Review of Bella Santini in the Troll War

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Review of Bella Santini in the Troll War

Post by Donna Walker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bella Santini in the Troll War" by Angela Legh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bella Santini in the Troll War, by Angela Legh, unfolds as an enchanting fantasy fiction tale, chronicling Bella Santini's life following her initiation into the Yelimoon Fairy School. Concealing her human origins, she adopts the name Bellisa Amatedor. We glean from the previous installment that Bella, once a human, was mysteriously transported to the realm of the Fae by a formidable spell. Here, she evolves, exhibiting magical talents and sprouting wings. However, her initiation ceremony takes a dark turn when she's abducted by Novaq, a purist fairy bully who believes she doesn't belong at the school. Novaq's actions set in motion a gripping new adventure for Bella and her companions. Curious to discover the unfolding events? Dive into this captivating book.

Angela Legh's remarkable world-building prowess deserves applause. The narrative maintains an engaging tempo, introducing a myriad of intriguing and unforgettable characters. Among them, Torvieto, a winged wolf creature, stands out as Bella's steadfast protector, having been released from a nine-century stint as a stone gargoyle in the previous volume.

It's imperative to note that Bella Santini in the Troll War serves as a sequel to The Land of Everlasting Change. While the author provides a prologue and background details from the first book, it becomes evident that this novel is not designed to stand alone. The initial chapter reads more like a summary of the prior installment than the start of a new adventure. Despite the comprehensive background information, readers may still sense gaps in crucial details and find the numerous characters challenging to keep track of. For a smoother reading experience, I highly recommend exploring the books in sequential order. Additionally, some readers might encounter difficulties in pronouncing the name "Ginekei," which could pose a challenge, especially for younger audiences.

Author Angela Legh seamlessly weaves valuable life lessons into the narrative. The story brims with nuggets of wisdom, such as the profound insight that "Hate is love looking for itself, every place except where love is." The unity and synergy displayed by the characters in overcoming formidable obstacles provide a thought-provoking and reflective element to the tale.

In terms of editing, Bella Santini in the Troll War boasts professional craftsmanship, marred by only a minor typographical error. I would have unhesitatingly awarded this book a full 5 stars were it not for its reliance on the prior installment and the ensuing sense of confusion due to incomplete backstory knowledge. For this reason, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars.

In summary, lovers of fantasy fiction, those captivated by magic, adventure enthusiasts, and readers who relish works akin to the Harry Potter series will savor the experience of this book. The recommended age range of 13–17 seems apt, given the book's straightforward language and minimal profanity, although adult readers will also find much to appreciate in this engaging narrative.

Bella Santini in the Troll War
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

I like to go back to where a story started when it comes to books in series. However, on few occasions when a book can be read as a standalone book, I will not mind. From your review, I think I may have to go read the previous installment of the book before this one. Thank you for the insightful review.
Chinenye Achilike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinenye-achilike.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Chinenye Achilike »

Sounds like a fun story to read about. Thanks for keeping us in the know of the order to read the book.
Cara Wilding
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Donna Walker wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 14:47 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bella Santini in the Troll War" by Angela Legh.]

Bella Santini in the Troll War, by Angela Legh, unfolds as an enchanting fantasy fiction tale, chronicling Bella Santini's life following her initiation into the Yelimoon Fairy School. Concealing her human origins, she adopts the name Bellisa Amatedor. We glean from the previous installment that Bella, once a human, was mysteriously transported to the realm of the Fae by a formidable spell.

Author Angela Legh seamlessly weaves valuable life lessons into the narrative. The story brims with nuggets of wisdom, such as the profound insight that "Hate is love looking for itself, every place except where love is." The unity and synergy displayed by the characters in overcoming formidable obstacles provide a thought-provoking and reflective element to the tale.

In summary, lovers of fantasy fiction, those captivated by magic, adventure enthusiasts, and readers who relish works akin to the Harry Potter series will savor the experience of this book. The recommended age range of 13–17 seems apt, given the book's straightforward language and minimal profanity, although adult readers will also find much to appreciate in this engaging narrative.
Just by looking at the cover, this isn't a book I might pick up. However, after reading your review I am very interested in taking a look! I like the plot line and I love the little nugget of wisdom you provided. It seems like there are also some very unique characters as well. I am certainly one of those adult readers who might appreciate this book! Thanks so much for sharing your review, it was persuasive! :D
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm probably too old to fully enjoy this type of story but this series seems ideal for kids looking for an introduction to the fantasy genre to find an engaging story that also includes important themes. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Azaz Raja »

Thank you for your thorough and insightful review of "Bella Santini in the Troll War" by Angela Legh. Your detailed analysis of the book's strengths and weaknesses provides valuable insights for potential readers. It's great to hear about the remarkable world-building and engaging characters that Legh has created. Your recommendation to read the books in sequential order and your commentary on the accessibility of the narrative for younger readers are particularly helpful. Overall, your review offers a balanced perspective on the book's merits and areas for improvement. Keep up the excellent work!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”