What do you look for in a Book Review?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kismoody
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kismoody.html
Latest Review: A Script For Aspiring Women Leaders by Mark Villareal

What do you look for in a Book Review?

Post by kismoody »

I've been curious about this for a while, so if this is a dup posting, I apologize. When you're trying to decide if you want to read a certain sci-fi/fantasy book, do you look at editorial reviews or only peer reviews or both? What keywords do you look for that will make you decide to read it?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I read both but prefer peer reviews. Interesting plot and the language are some of the factors that make me decide whether to read the book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
switchblades
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-switchblades.html

Post by switchblades »

I try to read a couple of different reviews. Critics are not always right.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

I read the peer reviews before I get a book. Editorial reviews most of the time are all the same and tend to gush over the book without pointing out any of the errors. I want to know before I get into a book if it's really worth reading and if there are any really strange things that are not mentioned in the synopsis.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
yalonde
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yalonde.html
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower

Post by yalonde »

I like book reviews where the reviewer's personality can be seen. If the reviewer is boring, it will cause me to be bored and not want to read the book. In my opinion, the reviewer place a big role in getting me to read a book. Some reviewers can just grab my interest with the way they word things, or the enthusiasm.
Latest Review: "The Road To Comfort" by Becky Lower
Kate_Emme
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-emme.html

Post by Kate_Emme »

I tend to check out certain reviewers that I have found to have similar takes on books as myself. Key words that I look for in reviews? It is always a good sign if the people reviewing are clear in their analysis and not overly-gushy about the book. I mean we all have books that we totally love, but if someone ALWAYS says that every book they read is amazing, it is hard to take their opinion seriously.
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

When I read a book review I want several things. One thing that I want is to know about the characters and the style and voice the author writes in. I want to know about the plot, and I want to know a hook. I want to be informed about the way that the book is written, without giving spoilers. I want to know what the person thinks about, and who he thinks will enjoy the story.
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Very interesting question. I think the cover art is one of the first things that draw me in to a fantasy title. As for reviews, I always look at peer reviews, which I think are more realistic. I like to read the good reviews first. After that I look for the lowest ratings and see what those reviewers had to say. Keywords I look for are character development , pacing and if the reviewer was satisfied with the ending.
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

I like to know if there was something interesting, unique, or impactful about the book, without any spoilers. This can be hard to accomplish in a review or discussion.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”