Historical Science Fiction?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Historical Science Fiction?

Post by RussetDivinity »

I've noticed that a lot of science fiction takes place either in the future or in the present, which is understandable. However, I was wondering if anyone knew about science fiction that takes place sometime in the past (preferably books that were written relatively recently). Steampunk tends to do this; are there any other genres or movements in this style, or even individual books?
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
NJ Slater
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NJ Slater »

It would be a fascinating genre to write in for sure. You effectively get this with HG Wells novels
LMR
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmr.html

Post by LMR »

The book I'm currently reading, is set throughout time. Starts in present time, travels back in time and forward as well. Although when travels very far back in time, actually more advanced civilization. It's intriguing, relatively easy to follow, but at times a bit slow, the good bits keep me reading though. It's the ancient future series
Meredith Troiano
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meredith-troiano.html

Post by Meredith Troiano »

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon does this somewhat. It is about time travel back in time. It is more historical fiction than science fiction but it does deal a good bit with the logistics of time travel.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Julian May's Galactic Milieu series explores the past to a degree. And is an overall entertaining read.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

There's a great classic book that fits the bill: Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court.
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
Deodarax
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deodarax.html

Post by Deodarax »

Probably one of my favorite types of book is when they incorporate historical elements to the story. It adds another layer to the story and makes it that much more interesting, adding onto current knowledge you already know and shaping it into something entertaining and fun to read.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Was going to say that steampunk seems to fit the bill best.

Historical fantasy is quite popular, but sci-fi is much harder to come by. I recently finished "The Killing Moon" by N K Jemesin. It's a fantasy/sci-fi (it takes place on another planet), but the society is based off of Egypt. The magic and lifestyles are more Ancient Egypt, while the politics and race relations are more reminiscent of the age of imperialism.

So it's not "historical", technically, because it's another planet, but the world is based on a place that existed in history. Not sure if that counts!
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
A Hormeku

Post by A Hormeku »

There is a genre called alternate history. These are like "what if" stories. Like what if the French hadn't sided with America in the Revolutionary War. Some of these stories bleed into the science fiction genre. Eric Flint, along with a number of guest authors, pens the 1632 series. In this story, an entire town in West Virginia is transported into Germany in the middle of the Thirty Years' war. It is fascinating to read how things play out. This series has also inspired the best fan fiction I have ever read. There are plenty of over lap in these two genres.
Sav Sparkman
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sav-sparkman.html
Latest Review: Artwords by Beatriz M. Robles
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by Sav Sparkman »

Personally, I enjoy historical fiction but can be quite critical of it. I haven’t read a crossover with sci-fi before, unless you include time travel stories (debatable genres). I would be interested in trying a book like this out if I was recommended an outstanding story.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” —Helen Keller
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

The Company series by Kage Baker is set in different eras and include several historical events and characters.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”