Review of Juris Ex Machina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Review of Juris Ex Machina

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Juris Ex Machina" by John W. Maly.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The criminal justice system is not always correct. Consider being falsely accused of a heinous crime. You are facing a jury of your peers to exonerate you. Picture the jury and judge as AI robots who decide based on provable facts. In John W. Maly’s Juris Ex Machina, Rainville and retired attorney Foxwright confront the risks of relying on robots.

At nineteen, Rainville works independently, repairing electrophotonic devices and helping his neighbor for access to her outdated fabricator. He bypasses security protocols on the machine for his projects. While Rainville is out on a date with Vyanna, Essie uses her fabricator to craft a toaster intended for her granddaughter’s wedding gift. Tessa live streams her first and final use of Essie’s gift. Something sinister activates within the toaster, and an explosion rocks the city, leveling an entire district. At least 368 people are dead, and the explosion is felt all the way to Wychwood prison. Three weeks later, Rainville was asleep when a task force broke down his door, arrested him, and ransacked his apartment. He faces a litany of charges, including first-degree murder and the detonation of a weapon of mass destruction. Attorney Phelps of the Petronius and Sydra law firm offers to represent Rainville pro bono. Phelps contacts Foxwright to help with the case. The book follows Rainville’s plight and Foxwright’s work to prove his client innocent.

Juris Ex Machina exhibits how people depend on technology. In this futuristic novel, people rely on AI robots for construction, law enforcement, and maintaining a biodome that regulates the environment of Arcadia. I found the details of Rainville’s case intriguing because the trial not only focuses on whether he could cause the destruction but also shows a lack of consideration for Rainville himself. The evidence presented suggests that guilt could belong to anyone in Arcadia. Rainville’s emotional response to being imprisoned while awaiting his trial was relatable. The character development is beyond exceptional. Every moment is vividly described. I could envision the tension in Rainville when he faces his verdict.

The only negative I found in Juris Ex Machina was that the chapter, Hungry Marley, repeats. This improvement is easy to fix by removing the identical chapter.

Therefore, I rate Juris Ex Machina five out of five stars. I don’t believe the editing could outrank the exceptional quality of the rest of the book. The formatting is broken into five sections, depicting Rainville and Foxwright as they learn more about the culprit behind the explosion. The suspense builds with every twist in the unpredictable plot.

Why frame Rainville? Why does Foxwright want to help Rainville? These are several questions that arise in Juris Ex Machina. This novel will captivate readers who enjoy thought-provoking narratives exploring the intersection of AI and human reliance on technology. I recommend the book to mature readers who can handle graphic violence and profanity.

Juris Ex Machina
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like AI just for the reason that it only relies on facts. I can see how, however, in this case that could prove to be very unhelpful. Thanks!
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

That was a great review! This sounds like an amazing book that’s completely up my alley. I love futuristic science fiction in general and the idea of what robots might someday become is a fascinating subject. I’m adding this one to my list.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Osvaldo Borghese
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: On the Trail of the Unseen by Lynne Armstrong-Jones
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

I will add this book to my list, I like futuristic books, even if I know that sometimes they show us a too realistic and dangerous future. Thanks for your review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: The Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 2401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Even without AI the justice system can be a fickle thing. The Innocence Project, for example, is a testament to that. To be honest, books about AI kind of scare me, but the importance of exploring these topics is obvious. Thank you for your fantastic review!
Stephanie Runyon

I think AI is a double-edge sword; some people use it to the point they don't learn how be independent without it. However, if looking for factual information or aid physical/mental handicapped people live fulfilled lives, AI can be good.
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel offers some food for thought concerning the possibility of using AI in trials. AI is supposed to be absolutely fair, as it's incorruptable, but is it completely reliable? I'm curious to see what's happen in this book. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stephanie Runyon

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 14:52 This novel offers some food for thought concerning the possibility of using AI in trials. AI is supposed to be absolutely fair, as it's incorruptable, but is it completely reliable? I'm curious to see what's happen in this book. Thank you for your great review!
I have seen some issues of AI not being fair. Somebody enters an algorithm that has a certain perspective on something. Somebody, like myself, comes along and it disagrees with me after I can factually back what I claim. For instance, spell/Grammar checkers are far from reliable.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”