Review of The Eldritch Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: Monarchy by Shirleen Moore

Review of The Eldritch Chronicles

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Eldritch Chronicles" by Bruno Richardson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Curiosity killed the cat" is an ancient proverb warning about the dangers of investigating matters that do not concern you. However, some people are so curious that this warning means nothing to them until their curiosity gets them in trouble. Steven is one such person.

Strange things are happening in Ravensbrook. Different irrational reasons are flying around to explain the strange occurrences. Some try to attribute it to "The Ravensbrook Bigfoot." As a rational thinker, Steven does not buy into any of the fables. He believes there must be a rational explanation for the strange occurrences. In his curiosity, he sets out to find answers.

It's not every time you read a sci-fi book that's under 100 pages. Having read some books in the sci-fi genre, I have realized that authors need time to flesh out and thicken their stories' plots. At 89 pages, Bruno Richardson put together a well-developed sci-fi book. The setting was a small town with legends and folklore passed from generation to generation. The hidden alien laboratory in the forest and its activities cover the sci-fi aspects of the book. Therefore, concisely and straightforwardly, "The Eldritch Chronicle" fulfills the requirements of a sci-fi book.

Another aspect of the book that I liked was the storytelling. The author was simple and detailed in narrating the story. He also used a descriptive style in telling the stories. I could imagine the small town of Ravensbrook and how everyone knew everyone. The author painted a realistic picture of how strange occurrences could disturb the peace of a small, quiet town. Even with the inclusion of fantasy elements, like the legend of "The Ravensbrook Bigfoot," the story was highly believable.

The character development was excellent. Steven went through many realistic transformations due to everything he experienced. In the beginning, Steven believed that everything must be explained rationally. His backstory helped to show how he became that kind of person. As he journeyed to find answers, I could see his experiences affecting how he saw life. Steven's character development was palpable.

I enjoyed this book and found nothing to dislike. The editing was exceptional. Therefore, I'd rate it five out of five stars. I'd recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi stories with a touch of adventure.

The Eldritch Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joo_ji
Currently Reading: Kafka On The Shore
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Joo_ji »

I see what you mean, Annabell. I have never read a sci-fi book under 100 pages myself, and you can be sure I have read scores of them. I think the name "Ravensbrook" is ominous in itself, the reason for which is self-evident. Thanks for a wonderful review. As an incurable carrier of the curiosity pathogen, I would definitely pick this one up for a read.
Laura Babic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-babic.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Laura Babic »

I'm really into reading Sci-Fi and fantasy and I think you honestly just gave me a new book to add to my TBR list, which is already quite long. The review made me quite intrigued about it.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book has the length of a novella. Regardless of classification, the title recalls lovecraftian horrors, which makes sense considering that there's a small town with legends and folklore. The cover, on the other hand, makes me think of a lab with biological experiments. In short, a science fiction story with horror connotations. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”