Review of A Fated Beginning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Like Glass
Bookshelf Size: 1667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Tarizon: Supreme Mandate by William Manchee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 96%

Review of A Fated Beginning

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Fated Beginning" by Neko Craft.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The fate of humanity was on the brink of extinction until the legendary Kye Shaw rescued the world. Before his death, Kye bestowed his power on 12 noble families, ensuring the continuation of human lives. Alphonse Moongale, a retired Soul Assailant, opens his door to find a woman with a baby in her arms. The boy bears the family’s birthmark. The woman vanishes before Alphonse can ask her questions. Alphonse and his wife raise the boy to become a Soul Assailant. On his sixteenth birthday, Elias was eligible to attend the Cloister of Souls, an elite school for Soul Assailants. Elias was eager to learn how to channel his soul energy and follow in the footsteps of his grandfather, Alphonse.

Elias grew up with Leena Shadowwalker, his companion in training. In the auditorium, the Warden’s intimidating presence felt overwhelming. She proves her lack of empathy by ordering the students to kill “the person in the same color chair.” Elias refuses to kill Nolan, his opponent. When the Warden threatens to fail him, Elias shrugs and declares, “I am not a tool to be used at your whim.” Enraged, she attempts to challenge Elias, but Ezekiel Starborn, an instructor, intervenes. Elias and Leena forge a bond that will ensure they survive the deadly trials conducted by the Warden.

Neko Craft’s A Fated Beginning is a creative fantasy story with a dystopian edge. Soul Assailants are the sword and shield against deadly entities that threaten people. The historical account of Kye Shaw laid a solid foundation for understanding the plot. The characters' development was exceptional. Elias’ fighting style was described as an intricate, graceful dance. When he uses the Tempest Onslaught style, wind forms with the speed of his two blades slashing. Leena was a lethal assassin. Her intelligence was exemplary, as she was quick to answer Ezekiel’s questions without effort. The Warden was a vile woman. Her orders and actions present it as though she is a villain bent on killing anyone who disagrees with her.

I did not find anything negative in this action story. The suspense builds with each revelation, causing more questions. Soul Assailants with the names “Berserker” and “Black Widow” match their ferocity in battle. The supporting characters added unexpected twists to the unpredictable plot. The appearance of a goblin weapon smith and the Warlock of Fear were intriguing because their intentions could be construed as both negative and positive. The engaging conversations were realistic. I could envision an overconfident teenage boy who was defiant towards the authoritative adult when Elias and the Warden argued.

I rate A Fated Beginning five out of five stars. The original story was creative, and the emotions of Elias and Leena were relatable. The book has no editing issues at all. The vivid details of the atmosphere did not overwhelm the plot. Every action scene felt intense, and the feeling of foreboding was easy to feel. The cliffhanger ending was perfect for creating a sequel that I am eager to read.

A Fated Beginning will appeal to adult fantasy readers who enjoy action and discovery. The graphic violence and profanity make this book inappropriate for younger readers. Some themes featured were loyalty, family dynamics, and determination to overcome adversity. The novel is easy to read, and there are no dull moments in the entire novel.

A Fated Beginning
View: on Bookshelves
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
williams Emerald
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Cackling of the Crows
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-emerald.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by williams Emerald »

Your review of “A Fated Beginning” paints a vivid picture of an action-packed fantasy world filled with intriguing characters and intense plot twists. You capture the essence of the story’s creativity and the depth of its characters, particularly Elias and Leena. Your description of their fighting styles and the dynamics between them and other characters adds excitement to the narrative. It’s clear that you found the book engaging and well-written, with no major flaws in editing or pacing. The cliffhanger ending left you eager for a sequel, which speaks to the book’s ability to keep readers hooked. Your assessment of the target audience and themes provides helpful guidance for potential readers. I like your review effectively communicates your enthusiasm for the book and highlights its strengths in a clear and relatable way.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The twists and turns in the plot kept me on the edge of my seat. Highly recommended
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: El espejismo
Bookshelf Size: 2412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

The fate of humanity was on the brink of extinction until the legendary Kye Shaw rescued the world. Before his death, Kye bestowed his power on 12 noble families, ensuring the continuation of human lives. Alphonse Moongale, a retired Soul Assailant, opens his door to find a woman with a baby in her arms. The boy bears the family’s birthmark. The woman vanishes before Alphonse can ask her questions. Alphonse and his wife raise the boy to become a Soul Assailant. On his sixteenth birthday, Elias was eligible to attend the Cloister of Souls, an elite school for Soul Assailants. Elias was eager to learn how to channel his soul energy and follow in the footsteps of his grandfather, Alphonse.
It's interesting how most fantasy books often offer a tragic origin story for the main character, while other genres don't focus that much on the backstories.
Elias grew up with Leena Shadowwalker, his companion in training. In the auditorium, the Warden’s intimidating presence felt overwhelming. She proves her lack of empathy by ordering the students to kill “the person in the same color chair.” Elias refuses to kill Nolan, his opponent. When the Warden threatens to fail him, Elias shrugs and declares, “I am not a tool to be used at your whim.” Enraged, she attempts to challenge Elias, but Ezekiel Starborn, an instructor, intervenes. Elias and Leena forge a bond that will ensure they survive the deadly trials conducted by the Warden.

That takes courage! I like Elias.
I'm not into dystopian novels, but, as always, I enjoyed your review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Writing for the Vialins
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 51%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some intriguing ideas are developed to develop what seems like and engaging fantasy novel that sometimes becomes brutal in depicting violent events. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Like Glass
Bookshelf Size: 1667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Tarizon: Supreme Mandate by William Manchee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 96%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 09 May 2024, 10:34
It's interesting how most fantasy books often offer a tragic origin story for the main character, while other genres don't focus that much on the backstories.

That takes courage! I like Elias.
I'm not into dystopian novels, but, as always, I enjoyed your review.
While it's considered dystopian, I found it looked more at the fantasy side of the Soul Assailants who were protectors of the human realm. They were supposed to keep evil, corrupt Soul Assailants (yes there are bad good guys) and monsters from crossing into the realm.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”