Review of The Goblin Addiction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Quest: Finding Freddie
Bookshelf Size: 780
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Trouble In The Triangle by Lisa Hedge

Re: Review of The Goblin Addiction

Post by Bertha Jackson »

This adult fantasy about goblins, addictions, and racism is unique and touches on touches on social issues we face today. Thank you for your informative review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It is surprising that a fantasy book with goblins and other creatures addresses philosophical themes of the human essence. Plus, it includes metaphors associated with social issues such as systemic racism and the imbalance of power in today's world.
Brienna Cooper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96

Post by Brienna Cooper »

Nice review! I do think this is something that would interest me. I’m always down for a creative analogy to serious/taboo topics and have definitely seen my share covering prejudice/power imbalance. However, I’d have to be mentally prepared to dive into it, as content particularly heavy on “violence, brutality, and inhumane behavior” will always be difficult to stomach on one level or another.
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: The Fight for Sleep by Thad R Harshbarger

Post by Do Thi Huong »

What a thoughtful and detailed review. I like that you talked about the metaphors behind the characters and storyline. The plot seems interesting—a fantasy world where goblins are hunted and eaten for ecstasy. There's so much hidden meaning behind it, including philosophical and spiritual themes, even racism. I would give it a try, but I'm a bit worried about the amount of cruelty and violence.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 65%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

By going through your review, i feel it's perfect blend of spiritual, unique creature, their characteristics and the journey. It's kind of new world of fantasy. I will check this book out.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: Who Will Bury The Dead God? by Ruman Neupane

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

The concept of goblins hunted for their ecstasy-inducing properties is both fascinating and chilling. Plus, the exploration of systemic racism and power dynamics adds a thought-provoking layer to the story.
Jenna Padayachee
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Kybalion
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenna-padayachee.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Signature Addition: Jenna Padayachee

Post by Jenna Padayachee »

I have mixed feelings about whether I want to read this book.
Your review is very informative and has an appeal that makes me consider the possibility of reading The Goblin Addiction by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke. I am not a fan of indulging in dark fantasy themes, although I am a lover of fantasy and find that this genre is a powerful means of communicating universal truths more simply to audiences indirectly.
I am keen to explore the dialogue roles you have mentioned, as well as the "author's exploration of spiritual concepts such as Karma, death, rebirth, and life as we know it."
The overall plot is uniquely creative as well.
Congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power." Lao Tzu
Jenna Padayachee
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

"The Goblin Addiction" by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke is an exhilarating fantasy tale set in a world where goblins are hunted by the Unctionites for their addictive essence. As a group of Unctionite boys embark on a dangerous journey to indulge their cravings, they are confronted with the consequences of their actions and must confront the true meaning of life and death.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is an adventurous dark fantasy novel that mirrors issues in society, such as addiction, oppression, racism, and tyranny. Told in an easy-to-understand manner, readers will find this novel to be thought-provoking and well-written. Thank you for the great review and keep up the amazing work!! :-)
Nabweteme Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabweteme-gloria.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Nabweteme Gloria »

It sounds like "The Goblin Addiction" delves into complex themes and storytelling techniques that make it a captivating read. The way Vanhaverbeke intertwines fantasy elements with deeper societal issues like systemic racism and power dynamics is truly impressive. The analogy drawn between the Unctionites' treatment of goblins and real-world marginalization adds layers of meaning to the narrative, making it not just a fantasy adventure but also a thought-provoking commentary on human behavior.

The dialogues' triple role in driving the story, adding a unique flavor, and maintaining realism showcases Vanhaverbeke's skill in crafting engaging conversations. It's rare to find dialogues that are both relevant to the plot and entertaining while also feeling authentic. This balance contributes significantly to the book's immersive nature.

Moreover, the exploration of spiritual concepts within a fantasy setting adds depth and philosophical weight to the story. It's fascinating how Vanhaverbeke uses characters and their journeys as metaphors for broader existential ideas, making readers reflect on deeper aspects of life and meaning.

While the book's darker themes and graphic violence may not be for everyone, especially those sensitive to such content, its use of humor to offset the intensity is a clever narrative choice. Overall, "The Goblin Addiction" seems like a well-crafted piece of literature that caters to readers who appreciate fantasy with mature themes and a touch of philosophical exploration.
Seetha E
Currently Reading: The prodigy slave
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seetha-e.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Seetha E »

This is a thorough review of a novel with a captivating plot that merges real-world issues within the dark fantasy genre. The review covers all aspects of the book, allowing prospective readers to make an informed decision. Congratulations on BOTD!
Bobbie Wolf
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobbie-wolf.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Bobbie Wolf »

Thank you for your comprehensive review. At first glance, the title of the book might suggest that it is a children's book. However, your review has made it clear that it's actually a dark fantasy that some adults may not enjoy. I happen to be one of those adults, as I find it difficult to stomach any form of cruelty. Therefore, I have decided to pass on this book. Nonetheless, I acknowledge that the underlying message of the book is an important one. If it helps shed light on certain truths, then that's a positive thing.
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Rupali Mishra »

Congrats on BOTD!
In Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke's gripping fantasy novel, The Goblin Addiction, goblins and Unctionites engage in a struggle for dominance and ethics. I'm excited to dive into this dark yet engrossing story because of the novel's intriguing premise and compelling characters.
Sky Revews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sky-revews.html
Latest Review: Heat in the Vegas Night by Jerry Reedy

Post by Sky Revews »

For readers who enjoy dark humor and unconventional fantasy worlds, The Goblin Addiction is a breath of fresh air. It caters to a specific taste but delivers a satisfying and thought-provoking experience within that niche.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

"The Goblin Addiction" by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke sounds like a captivating and thought-provoking book. The author skillfully weaves together elements of fantasy, adventure, and social commentary to create a rich and immersive story.

The analogy between the goblin addiction and systemic racism in today's world is a compelling and meaningful interpretation of the book. By portraying the Unctionites' exploitation of the goblins and their disregard for their lives and well-being, the author sheds light on the destructive nature of power imbalances and the harmful stereotypes that perpetuate inequality. It's commendable that the author addresses such complex issues within the framework of a fantasy tale, allowing readers to engage with these themes in a unique and imaginative way.

The storytelling itself appears to be a standout aspect of the book. Vanhaverbeke's ability to bring the fantasy world to life through vivid descriptions and visualizations is praiseworthy. The inclusion of alternate storylines, plots, and characters that intertwine harmoniously adds depth and richness to the overall narrative. It seems that the author has mastered the art of simple storytelling, captivating readers and taking them on an unforgettable journey.

The dialogues in the book serve multiple purposes, contributing to the storyline, infusing the narrative with a cartoonish feel, and portraying the authenticity and unpredictability of real-life conversations. Well-crafted dialogue can greatly enhance the reading experience, and it's commendable that Vanhaverbeke has achieved a balance between relevance, entertainment, and realism in this aspect of the book.

Furthermore, the exploration of spiritual concepts such as karma, death, rebirth, and the meaning of life adds a surprising philosophical dimension to the story. It's impressive how the author seamlessly integrates these concepts into the conversations, allowing readers to ponder deeper existential questions while being immersed in a fantasy world. This philosophical twist adds another layer of complexity and depth to the book, making it a truly thought-provoking read.

However, it's important to note that the book contains a significant amount of violence and brutality, which may not appeal to all readers. The author's use of humor helps to alleviate the tension, but it may still be overwhelming for those who are sensitive to dark themes. The "dark fantasy" label seems fitting, as it prepares potential readers for the intense and graphic nature of the content.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”