Review of The Goblin Addiction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 562
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Re: Review of The Goblin Addiction

Post by Sirajuddin A »

In this fairytale, the roles of mythical creatures and powers seem fascinating, and it would be interesting to know how Coach Mayfield hunts Unctionite boys.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

It looks like a cool book that deconstructs systematic racism, inequality and much more. However, I may skip the book because of the extreme violence that will be in it. Thank you for your review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Juego de niños
Bookshelf Size: 2416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I can't imagine how the author connected karma with systemic inequality and other social issues. But I think fantasy, humor, and a "cartoonish" feel can help make a grim topic more accessible and, perhaps, help readers become more empathetic. Thank you for your review.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

At first, I thought this might be a young adult book, but as you've described it as a 'dark fantasy' with the underlying themes of racism and power imbalance, I stand corrected. It does sound a little heavy-going, though, so I'm on the fence if I'll pick this one up or not.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Vanhaverbeke's book features characters such as gods, ogres, and goblins in stories about philosophical and spiritual concepts and the meaning of life. The storyline explores karma, life, death, and rebirth and is filled with inhumane behavior, violence, and brutality. Although this is not my prefered genre, the book reviewer gave high praise and encourages fans of dark fantasy to pick up a copy.
Azi Joseph
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azi-joseph.html
Latest Review: Living a Life in Balance by Abdullah Boulad

Post by Azi Joseph »

The Goblin Addiction by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke is a fantasy tale that transports us to a world full of wondrous creatures and mythical powers. Good review congratulations on your BOTD
Damian Keyes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damian-keyes.html
Latest Review: Stolen by Neil Edwin Fountaine
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Damian Keyes »

At first read of the reviews of this book, I was not going to get this book because sci-fi novels are not my thing. I was happy to read that the stories premise is actually bigger than these three boys, but more about how systematic racism is the main point. I cannot wait to get this book and delve deeper into the stories meaning.
azza lia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azza-lia.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by azza lia »

A fantasy book that goes into deep and darker themes is truly captivating and thought-provoking. This fictional story that challenges readers with deep metaphor for systemic inequality and substance abuse might not for everyone, tho. Your review effectively captures the essence of the book. It will definitely make dark fantasy fans even more eager to read this book. Excellent review.
Diksha Sharma 20
Currently Reading: The Vampire Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Diksha Sharma 20 »

"The Goblin Addiction" serves as a cautionary tale, reminding us of the importance of balance and self-awareness in navigating the captivating realms of fantasy.
KiranJain30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiranjain30.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by KiranJain30 »

"The Goblin Addiction" by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke is a dark fantasy adventure that cleverly explores systemic inequality and spiritual concepts while delivering immersive storytelling and captivating dialogue. Five stars.Good review and thanks for reviewing this book.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading: Secrets of the Kashmir Valley
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

The Goblin Addiction" by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke is a captivating journey through a world of goblins and Unctionites, skillfully woven with insightful themes and compelling narratives. As the story unfolds, the author deftly navigates complex topics like racism, stereotypes, and power struggles, presenting them in a manner that is both engaging and thought-provoking. What I particularly admire is how the author transforms the fictional setting into a platform for real-life lessons, offering readers a chance to reflect and learn. Thank you for the review, its detailed exploration of the book's strengths, further adds to the allure of this intriguing tale. Its length and depth provide a thorough understanding of what to expect, making it an easy decision to add this book to my shelf. Congratulations to the author for receiving the well-deserved recognition as BOTD!
That I may know Him :arrow: Philippians 3:10
Ankitg Yadav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankitg-yadav.html
Latest Review: Return to Reality by Mark O'Dell

Post by Ankitg Yadav »

Vanhaverbeke's vivid descriptions bring the fantastical world to life. From the bustling goblin marketplaces to the unsettling Unctionite cities, the reader is transported into a world that is both hilarious and disturbingly believable.
Ejimma Chika Promise
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ejimma-chika-promise.html
Latest Review: Happiness to the 10th Power by T. Calvin Ward

Post by Ejimma Chika Promise »

The story of the Unctionite boys and their desire to satisfy their urges shows the extent to which we can do for our satisfaction's sake. Nice review!
Andrew Karanja
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-karanja.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Andrew Karanja »

I recently finished reading 'The Goblin Addiction' by Joe Paul Vanhaverbeke, and I was completely hooked from start to finish. The way the author blends fantasy elements with real-world themes like systemic racism and power imbalances is truly masterful. The characters felt so real, and I found myself rooting for them throughout their journey. The action-packed plot kept me on the edge of my seat, and the underlying message about the consequences of prejudice and oppression really hit home. Overall, a fantastic read that I highly recommend to anyone looking for a thought-provoking adventure.
Reva Parker
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 495
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reva-parker.html
Latest Review: Dear Abigail by Richard Rees

Post by Reva Parker »

Thank you for your detailed review. I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much. I hope many others will like the dark fantasy of it. It just isn't for me so I'll pass and let the other read the well-edited book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”