Review of Time for PSyQ

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Empowered By the Dream by Gladys A Barrio

Review of Time for PSyQ

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Time for PSyQ" by Marti Ward.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Time for PsyQ is a super-engrossing science fiction novel penned by Marti Ward. Though it may seem that the book is intended for children and teenagers, I am confident adult readers will find it fascinating as well.

Marti Ward's Time for PsyQ revolves around Airlie Sanderson and her friends. On her eleventh birthday, she gets a cat as a present. She names him Sooty. Soon after, Airlie discovers that she has some special abilities. These abilities completely change the lives of Airlie and her friends, Yan and Lilly. However, Airlie's powers are truly put to the test when her friend, Kate, is kidnapped.

What kind of powers does Airlie have? Will she be able to understand them and wield them properly? How will her special abilities affect her life? Most importantly, will Airlie and her compatriots be able to save Kate?

Time for PsyQ had my attention from the very first page. The fast-paced writing style and the gradual buildup to the climax intrigued me. I loved how the special powers of the kids have detailed scientific explanations. Ward explains myriad scientific concepts in an easy and detailed manner without making the narrative monotonous. This is a testament to his storytelling talent.

The characters of Time for PsyQ are all well-developed. Airlie is a charming little girl who tries her best to help those in need. Her interest in science and her relentless quest to better understand her abilities made her my favorite. Yan, Lilly, Wendy, and Kate are all great kids with their own unique characteristics. Even Libby is able to mark her presence despite her short appearance. I loved all the pets. From Airlie’s cat, Sooty, and Lilly's spider, Parker, to Kate's dog, Goldie, Yan's dog, Nonsense, and Wendy's dog, Cocoa, all the animals won my heart. Among the adults, Inspector Johnathan Humble and Sergeant El Sanford are my favorites. Both of them always pay attention to the children and take their words seriously. Airlie's parents are very relatable. Though they support their daughter wholeheartedly, they make sure that their children's safety is the priority.

Overall, I truly enjoyed the first book of Marti Ward's Quantum Talents Series. I am excited to read the next book in the series and find out what lies ahead for Airlie and her friends.

I found nothing worth disliking in Time for PsyQ. However, I did find more than ten errors. I am sure a round of editing will easily fix this.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate Time for PsyQ 4 out of 5 stars. I had to take away a star because of the errors.

I highly recommend Marti Ward's Time for PsyQ to fans of science fiction novels and mystery books. I believe that adults and children alike will enjoy this amazing book.

Time for PSyQ
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rica Concepcion
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Rica Concepcion »

Kids will surely enjoy this book about magic and superpowers. They will enjoy it because the main character is a kid; it will inspire and fascinate them. As an adult, I'm curious about how a kid will save a friend from kidnapping. I will definitely grab a copy of this book. Thanks for the review.
Sonal95 +
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sonal95 + »

Kids are gonna enjoy it, awesome inspirational story, even adults are also gonna enjoy this story
Okewunmi Pelumi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okewunmi-pelumi.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Okewunmi Pelumi »

Yes, I like this review. The title of this book sound funny to me. But, I think it's a type of book I'll enjoy reading.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have an educational element with the science and the explanations connected to superpowers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
RutvikPatel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rutvikpatel.html
Latest Review: The River of Cheese by Amanda Jane Lowles

Post by RutvikPatel »

Your review of "Time for PsyQ" by Marti Ward provides a comprehensive and positive overview of the book.You begin by describing the plot, introducing the main character, Airlie, and her special abilities, which set the stage for the story's intriguing premise. You mention the kidnapping of Airlie's friend, Kate, as a central conflict, adding an element of suspense to the narrative.
Ohmy Book
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: You Can Heal Your Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohmy-book.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Ohmy Book »

What a fantastic review of "Time for PsyQ" by Marti Ward! It's evident that you thoroughly enjoyed the book, and your review does an excellent job of highlighting its strengths and engaging qualities. Your praise for the engaging storytelling, well-developed characters, and the detailed scientific explanations is very compelling.

Mentioning the characters and their distinct qualities, as well as the heartwarming presence of pets, adds depth to your review. It's also great that you acknowledge the support of the adult characters in the story and the relatability of Airlie's parents.

Your honesty about the editing errors while still giving a high rating is a fair and constructive approach. It shows that you appreciate the story but recognize areas for improvement.

Overall, this review is both informative and enthusiastic. It's clear that "Time for PsyQ" left a positive impression on you, and your recommendation to a broad audience of both adults and children is a valuable endorsement. Great job!
Gee-Q Mdluli
Currently Reading: Adventures of Uncle Billy and Ross
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-q-mdluli.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Gee-Q Mdluli »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book. I've never read it, and looking at the cover, I wondered what it could be about. Your review has convinced me to check it out. Thanks again for your insight. :tiphat:
Kaitlyn Wadsworth
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Chrome Mountain
Currently Reading: Gularian Islands
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-wadsworth.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kaitlyn Wadsworth »

I liked the official review.
Review of Time for Psykids by Marti Ward
(Ist book in the Quantum Talents Series)
Time for Psykids is a 109-page sci-fi/fantasy book for 10–18-year-olds. It is no.1 of a series. As such, Parts 1 and 2 of this book set up the world, characters, and the scientific/physics aspects. Part 3 comprises 11 of the 23 chapters.

Kicking off this story is the Foreword, written in first person by Airlie, the main character. It introduced her and had me hooked to read on. The story itself is in third person. We meet Airlie and her cat Sooty; Yan and her pet dog, who only responds to the name ‘Nonsense;’ their friend Lilly, whom a spider adopts and she names Parker; Kate and her dog Goldie; and Wendy with her dog Cocoa—all likable characters.

Airlie and Sooty, along with a few friends, use their skills to solve the mysterious disappearance of a small dog. This is how Airlie comes to the attention of the police, particularly Inspector Humble. He is so impressed with Airlie and her team that he invites them to attend a special camp for those interested in police work. Their pets are also invited.

The story becomes more interesting in Part 2, at camp also invited. They learn a lot about their abilities and their scientific basis. It is similar to Harry Potter going to Hogwarts, except that Psykids is not about magic. It is about very incredible science cum physics. The application of what the girls can accomplish together is mind-bending. It will be of great use in helping the police solve various crimes.

As Airlie touches on in her Foreword, the scientific nerdy talk is necessary to give a logical basis for a reader to suspend disbelief while reading. The writer has tried to achieve a balance here and set up the series with enough explanation so that this book can lead to others in the series. Some may think there is too little scientific explanation, but some may conclude there is too much.

Airlie is knowledgeable and a brilliant heroine, but it is a story about teamwork. Chapter 10 is most interesting, and Airlie gets to test out what she can do.

Chapter 15 is brief, and this is inexplicable.

Chapter 17 became complicated with all the scientific jargon. The target audience may find this the case. The story is gripping when Kate and Goldie go missing. Airlie, Airlie’s Mum, Inspector Humble, and Tim (Kate’s brother) try to connect telepathically to reassure Kate and to plan how they may rescue her. The connecting, communicating back and forth, and failing sometimes confused me, but it was also an exciting read.

Chapter 18 seemed to drag as they formulated information about Kate’s location. Once the police are out there trying to track down where she is, along with information Airlie can decipher, the tension ramps up. There are aspects of danger.

Due to a handful of grammatical errors, which some may overlook, and the complexity of the scientific explanations, which are necessary for the story and challenging to simplify or clarify, I personally rate it 4 out of 5. However, this is just a rating, as it is an enjoyable read.

For example, take the word ‘skry.’ It looked like a typo, but it is hard to figure out what it should be otherwise. Another reviewer may have mistaken this for an error. However, it is a word, and the meaning is perfect in the context. Caution should be exercised when using novel terminology in writing for young people.

This debut story sets the scene for what will be an excellent series for young people who love mystery, thrills, and sci-fi rolled into one. Thanks, Marti Ward.
Kyle Sutheran
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Moore Kraus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-sutheran.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter by Mark Gumbrell
fav_author_id: 258142
2024 Reading Goal: 40
2024 Goal Completion: 272%

Post by Kyle Sutheran »

Thank you for this review. This story follows the protagonist Airlie, and her personality seems interesting. The powers that she has are intriguing. I wonder if she can control them to save her friend?
K. Sutheran :techie-studyingbrown:
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

Based on the review, it is helpful and sufficient in providing an overview of the book. It is likely to motivate readers to buy due to the engaging plot and well-developed characters. The book appears to be a good addition to anyone's library, according to the reviewer's perspective.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review for "Time for PsyQ" by Marti Ward depicts an engaging science fiction novel with well-developed characters and a fast-paced narrative. The inclusion of detailed scientific explanations adds depth to the story, while Airlie's charming personality and her quest to understand her abilities make her a favorite character. The presence of animals and supportive adult characters further enhance the reading experience. Although some errors were found, the overall rating remains positive with a recommendation for fans of science fiction and mystery genres.
Olivier Muhammad
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivier-muhammad.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Olivier Muhammad »

Hey y'all! After reading this review, it's clear that "Time for PsyQ" by Marti Ward is a fantastic science fiction novel. The reviewer was hooked from the beginning and loved the fast-paced writing style. The characters are well-developed, and Airlie's special powers are explained in a detailed yet engaging manner. The reviewer also praised the presence of adorable pets and relatable adult characters. Although there were some errors, overall, the reviewer highly recommends the book. So, if y'all enjoy sci-fi and mystery, this seems like a great read for both kids and adults! Y'all should give it a go! Captivating twists, kept me guessing until the end.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Hey y'all, this here review tells us that Time for PsyQ by Marti Ward is a mighty fine science fiction novel. It's got a fast-paced story, well-developed characters, and some real clever scientific explanations. The review mentions a few errors that could be fixed with some editin', but overall it seems like a real good read. So if y'all like sci-fi and mystery, give it a go! Beautifully crafted, every word carefully chosen.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”