Review of Pixylations

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: The Foundlings and Fisherman from Tumby by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review of Pixylations

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pixylations" by Joe Laudati.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Pixylations by Joe Laudati whisks readers away to a vibrant world where fairies and magic intertwine with everyday life. Through the enchanting adventures of Faela, a mischievous blue pixy, Laudati crafts a tale that captures the imagination and heart in equal measure.

This book chronicles the adventurous life of Faela, a pixy who feels out of place in the structured world of fairy duties. Her vivid creativity and unique approach to tending flowers often make her stand out among her fellow pixies, leading to constant ridicule and judgment. While her pranks and whimsical alterations to nature captivate humans, they are frowned upon by other fairies, who view her as unpredictable and troublesome. One day, Faela is carried off to the ominous Haunted Hills, where she encounters the Pooka, a shape-shifting goblin king. The Pooka, intrigued by Faela's spirited nature, proposes marriage, intending to draw her into his dark and chaotic world. Discover for yourself whether Faela will accept his proposal and find her place in this magical world.

I absolutely loved this book. It swept me away into a fantastic whirlwind of leprechauns, fairies, elves, gnomes, goblins, and sorcerers. I couldn't get enough of it. I was completely enthralled with Faela, whom the author perfectly describes as "mistress of magic, pixy of pandemonium, and all-around fairy extraordinaire." Her journey is nothing short of spectacular. Faela grapples with her identity and her longing to be seen and appreciated for who she truly is. Her adventures lead to a profound understanding of her magical abilities and the realization that being different is not a curse but a powerful gift.

I commend the author for his rich, descriptive prose and the charming ensemble of characters. The language used by some figures in Pixylations incorporates elements of Irish dialect and phrases, evident in the dialogue. This use of typical Irish English terms and expressions adds to the story's authentic setting and cultural atmosphere.

This book was an absolute delight, and I had no dislikes whatsoever! From the captivating writing style to the thrilling adventure, it kept me hooked throughout. The author's talent for portraying emotions shone brightly, and the illustrations were the perfect complement. Their vividness brought the characters and their surroundings to life, making the entire experience even more immersive.

I recommend this book to fantasy enthusiasts, young adults, and teens who enjoy rich, imaginative worlds filled with magical creatures. Fans of fairy tales and mythology, as well as those who appreciate modern takes on classic stories, will find it delightful. Illustration lovers will enjoy the book's art, despite being in black and white, as it balances the lively descriptions perfectly.

In summary, Faela's story is a captivating tale of self-discovery, acceptance, and the importance of staying true to oneself despite societal pressures. The overall charm and depth of the narrative are undeniable. The book appears to have been professionally edited, with very few grammatical errors encountered. Consequently, I award it 5 out of 5 stars. Joe Laudati has crafted an amazing story with Pixylations, and I am eager to explore more of his work.

Pixylations
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I wonder if this could be used as a book to be read to children a chapter at a time? Were the endings to the chapters suspenseful enough? I remember my dad reading to my brother and I in this way. Thanks!
Ifeanyi Nwokike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Ifeanyi Nwokike »

Well, am amazed how the author brought the fairy tale of the magical world relating it to the real world. A book of thrills and adventures. A must read for children but they should be enlightened about the consequences of engaging in magic.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

This review definitely piqued my interest as a fantasy fan. The combination of classic fairy tale themes with a modern twist sounds right up my alley. Knowing there are illustrations for visual learners like me is a bonus! Thanks for the wonderful review.
Sandre Lamar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandre-lamar.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Sandre Lamar »

The pacing of the story was perfect, keeping me hooked throughout.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

Amy Luman wrote: 21 May 2024, 15:55 I wonder if this could be used as a book to be read to children a chapter at a time? Were the endings to the chapters suspenseful enough? I remember my dad reading to my brother and I in this way. Thanks!
The story also has a young girl named Ellie, a 7-year-old dealing with the loss of her mother and battling emotions like shyness and a lack of courage. The pixie embarks on a mission to help Ellie smile and rediscover her bravery. This book could certainly benefit children. However, it contains mild borderline profanity, such as "damn," which might not be suitable for young listeners. You could choose to omit this word when reading aloud to ensure it's appropriate.
Typically, as one chapter ends and another begins, the narrative shifts to focus on a different character. You could easily read one chapter a day, and I'm confident that children will enjoy them, especially with the wonderful illustrations accompanying the text.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

R Chinaza Onwuka wrote: 22 May 2024, 03:57 This review definitely piqued my interest as a fantasy fan. The combination of classic fairy tale themes with a modern twist sounds right up my alley. Knowing there are illustrations for visual learners like me is a bonus! Thanks for the wonderful review.
I'm glad to help. I hope you will consider giving this book a try. Reading it made me feel like a child again, and the sheer delight of experiencing the story was immense.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The premise of this book looks interesting, considering the themes about fairy life. Reading your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this. What a great review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be old for this kind of story but this novel uses folklore elements to build a story that includes some very modern elements. However, the language might be difficult to undestand for me, as English is not my primary language, so variants are a problem for me. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 30 May 2024, 14:43 I might be old for this kind of story but this novel uses folklore elements to build a story that includes some very modern elements. However, the language might be difficult to undestand for me, as English is not my primary language, so variants are a problem for me. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Thanks so much for your appreciation!
Reading this book at 37 brought back that wonderful childlike feeling – it was truly delightful! This book has a timeless appeal that I think readers of all ages will enjoy.
The language itself wasn't difficult, but I found myself easily imagining the characters with Irish accents, especially in the dialogue between the townsfolk.
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 153%

Post by Martina Sette »

I found it to be a truly enchanting tale that beautifully blends magic with everyday life. The character of Faela, a mischievous and creative pixy, brings a refreshing vibrancy to the story. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”