Review of Banished Book 1:Awakening

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Banished Book 1:Awakening

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Banished Book 1:Awakening" by L Higginson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Rylee, a half-Makaran, always felt like an outsider. Unlike her peaceful people, she looked different because of her human father, whom she never met. Her mother kept him a secret. On her mother's deathbed, the truth came out: Rylee had to find her father because the Makarans never accepted her. This news filled her with hope and worry. Would she be able to find him?

Meanwhile, the people of Tylwyth Tegs, who dwell beneath the desert, prepare for a horrific event foretold in prophecies: the dark day. The high dwellers (all the people of the Meridian Continent) who serve the gods of light become the target of revenge by the Tylwyth Teg, who serve the gods of darkness. Alastar, the Tylwyth Teg high priest, prepares for the Yule Samrahd (the release of the trapped elders) and plants Tishala as his agent among the high dwellers.

An ancient prophecy speaks of champions for the gods of light who will save them from the coming evil. Rylee soon discovers she's not just different; she might be one of the prophesied champions. But will she be strong enough to face the dangers of her destiny?

The story unfolds in a world with a rich history of conflict and a delicate peace. The presence of multiple planes of existence adds an intriguing layer of mystery. The author masterfully and creatively introduces each race and kind of being encountered in the story. The character development is superb, especially with Rylee and Sabina.

I also enjoyed the gradual thickening of the plot and the way the author skillfully builds relationships between the characters, particularly the realistic and relatable development of Rylee's bond with her newfound family. Additionally, the inclusion of planes of existence and a map of the Meridian Continent enhanced my imagination and connection to the world.

Banished Book 1: Awakening by L. Higginson is a wonderfully written dark fantasy. However, there were some shortcomings. It was quite easy to predict the operative one's identity even before it was revealed. The large number of characters made it difficult to keep track of everyone at times. Additionally, most of the errors I found are in the use of commas and can be a matter of style. 

All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It's an interesting and engaging read. Readers who enjoy high fantasy with coming-of-age themes and stories with a strong female lead on a quest for self-discovery would love this book.

Banished Book 1:Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshua-sawders.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Joshua Sawders »

This review provides an insightful overview of the book "Banished: Awakening" by L. Higginson. It praises the author's world-building skills, character development, and the gradual thickening of the plot. The inclusion of multiple planes of existence and a map of the Meridian Continent enhances the reading experience. However, the reviewer mentions that the prediction of a key identity was too easy and keeping track of numerous characters was challenging. Despite these minor flaws, the review rates the book 4 out of 5 stars and recommends it to readers who enjoy high fantasy with a strong female lead. Overall, it appears to be a good read for those interested in a dark fantasy filled with self-discovery and coming-of-age themes. Suspenseful narrative, kept me guessing eagerly.
R Chinaza Onwuka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Banished
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-chinaza-onwuka.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by R Chinaza Onwuka »

Joshua Sawders wrote: 14 May 2024, 07:14 This review provides an insightful overview of the book "Banished: Awakening" by L. Higginson. It praises the author's world-building skills, character development, and the gradual thickening of the plot. The inclusion of multiple planes of existence and a map of the Meridian Continent enhances the reading experience. However, the reviewer mentions that the prediction of a key identity was too easy and keeping track of numerous characters was challenging. Despite these minor flaws, the review rates the book 4 out of 5 stars and recommends it to readers who enjoy high fantasy with a strong female lead. Overall, it appears to be a good read for those interested in a dark fantasy filled with self-discovery and coming-of-age themes. Suspenseful narrative, kept me guessing eagerly.

Thanks Joshua for stopping by and commenting. The book is a good read. The narrative is indeed quite suspenseful.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: The Atlantis Cure by Pierce Roberts

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Set in a richly crafted world with intricate relationships and diverse races, the story captivates with its character development and imaginative world-building, despite some predictability in plot twists and challenges in managing a large cast of characters.
Mark Maxwell 2
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-maxwell-2.html
Latest Review: His Final Answer by Christopher D White & Jennifer Curran

Post by Mark Maxwell 2 »

Rylee" immerses readers in a captivating tale of identity, belonging, and impending conflict. As a half-Makaran, Rylee grapples with feeling like an outsider among her peaceful people due to her human father, whose identity her mother kept secret.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic elements of the fantasy genre are used to create a fictional world and characters who can have problems that are similar to ours. Despite some predictability, it seems like an engaging story. The title point to a series, so I'll look into it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Robert Cortes
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-cortes.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Robert Cortes »

The review of "Banished Book 1: Awakening" by L. Higginson intrigues me. The book blend dark fantasy and a compelling coming-of-age story. The protagonist, Rylee, appears to have a richly layered backstory that promises a deep exploration of identity and belonging. Her quest to find her father and her potential role as a prophesied champion add a captivating personal and epic dimension to the narrative.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”