Review of The Ember Reach

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The Fly Who Knew Too Much by M. Taylor
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 110%

Review of The Ember Reach

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ember Reach" by J. Gibson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

J. Gibson’s The Ember Reach is a dark fantasy story featuring Amun and Karis. A plague known as the Undeath has swept across the cities and villages south of the Black Canal. Karis lives on the outskirts of Imbredon and wakes to see the city burning. She arms herself with her short sword and a dagger, her determination leading her to enter the city. Every body she passes is mangled beyond recognition until she encounters a woman. The disfigured and reanimated woman turns and attacks Karis. Barely fending off the woman, Karis finds more reanimated people surrounding her. Suddenly, an angel descends and takes Karis to a forest to protect her from the reanimated creatures.

Meanwhile, the Ennead, who are a council of powerful archbishops, have made Amun their Scribe Officiate. She was in the council chamber when they learned Archbishop Torneau was dead. During the investigation, they discover that Archbishop Mallum’s dagger is missing, and it appears to be the weapon used in the murder. Amun stumbles upon the suspicious appearance of a magister speaking to a man in a hooded brown cloak. During Torneau’s funeral service, someone attempts to assassinate Vicar Umbra. Amun pursues the man, who turns and threatens her with Mallum’s missing dagger. He warns her, “The beast is coming.”

The Ember Reach is the second book in the Planar Lost series. The book alternates between chapters focusing on the individual views of Karis and Amun. The vivid details of both characters are exceptional, as they express their thoughts in each moment. The interactions with the supporting characters add depth to the unpredictable plot. Karis' scientific approach to the world is tested by the supernatural creatures she encounters. Night terrors cause her to lose sleep, and her attitude matches when she snaps at others. She picks up a traveling companion who is a fugitive paladin who defected from the Imperial Army. Amun is looking for acceptance, but her peers taunt her about Archbishop Delacroix’s favoritism. She struggles to voice her disagreements with the Ennead Council's decisions.

The Ember Reach is not a standalone book. My reading experience would have been enhanced by reading the first book in the series. The glossary on the back of the book gave names and pronunciations but divulged little information about the characters. For example, Garron was brought up several times and must be an important part of the first book, since his death significantly affected Amun.

While I enjoyed this book, I felt like I was missing out on the foundation laid in the first book. I cannot fault the quality of The Ember Reach based on not reading the series in order. Therefore, I rate this intriguing fantasy five out of five stars. The editing was professional; both characters’ emotions are relatable, and the abundance of detail did not impede the flow of the story given to the atmosphere. The engaging conversations make the characters’ personalities shine through the dangers they face.

The Ember Reach will appeal to fans of dark fantasy novels following the lives of strong female leaders. The presence of intense and graphic violence in scenes may be overwhelming for sensitive readers. The book is free from profanity and explicit content.

The Ember Reach
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Somto Nwachukwu 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somto-nwachukwu-1.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Somto Nwachukwu 1 »

The story alternates between their perspectives, offering rich character development and an unpredictable plot, that's a good one. Thanks for your review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1026
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I thought that this science fiction/fantasy book was going to be the one that I was looking for. Your summary makes it sound like something that I would like. Unfortunately, this book is part of a series and I can’t start anywhere but the first book. Thanks!
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The Fly Who Knew Too Much by M. Taylor
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 110%

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Amy Luman wrote: 26 May 2024, 17:31 I thought that this science fiction/fantasy book was going to be the one that I was looking for. Your summary makes it sound like something that I would like. Unfortunately, this book is part of a series and I can’t start anywhere but the first book. Thanks!
I think I would have understood more if I had read the first book. This one was great but I lacked information that would have made it easier to understand.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

The plot summary suggests a story that's indeed dark with Anum and Karis facing what seem like overwhelming dark forces at the center of an engaging fantasy story. I'll look into this series starting with the first book. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”