Review of A Tome of Order Magic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Re: Review of A Tome of Order Magic

Post by Marissa Michael »

Interesting cover & the story about being transported to a magical realm without knowing the powers that dwells within you is intriguing. Those who are into science fiction, fantasy and video games will definitely enjoy this. Congrats on being the #botd.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Omobolanle Savage
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Words of Weedsdom
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

This review offers a comprehensive look at the strengths and weaknesses of the book. While the unique concept of mana and video game formatting intrigues me, the reviewer's honesty about the immature humor and lack of clear plot gives me pause. I'd approach this book cautiously but might give it a try for its creative elements.
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

It's sad that the book has unique aspects but most of it is lost due to lack of a concise plot. I also don't appreciate the sexist and misogynistic remarks the author makes in the book. I would have loved to read about the world of magic which is powered by mana but due to the aforementioned discrepancies, I'll pass on the book.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

The review provides a balanced perspective on "A Tome of Order Magic." While praising its editing and inventive ideas like mana usage, it rightly criticizes the immature and offensive humor, which detracts from the narrative. Authors should strive for humor that enriches the story, rather than detracts from it, ensuring inclusivity and respectfulness in their writing.
Malleswararao Dasari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malleswararao-dasari.html
Latest Review: Spirituality In Practice by Dr. Krishnamoorthy (Subbu) Subramanian

Post by Malleswararao Dasari »

The review of "A Tome of Order Magic" praises its unique concepts like "mana" but criticizes its disjointed plot and overly detailed descriptions. While the editing is commended, the narrative feels more like a series of disconnected events rather than a cohesive storyline. Lengthy character monologues also detract from the pacing. Balancing originality with tighter plotting could enhance the reading experience.
grace ruhara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-ruhara.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by grace ruhara »

Magical books are usually very thrilling and interesting to read. I can not wait to read A Tome of Order Magic and find out what happens to Kai.
Anusha Thatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anusha-thatavarthi.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Anusha Thatavarthi »

"Tome of Order Magic" by Kyle, a sci-fi novel, follows Kai's journey in a magical world with unique concepts like mana. The book's strengths include excellent editing, creative formatting resembling a video game, and imaginative creatures. Thanks for the amazing review.
Sargam Talreja
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Way of the Goddess
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sargam-talreja.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Sargam Talreja »

While the concept of the book promises intrigue and adventure, it falls short due to the disconnected storyline, inappropriate humour and sexual comments, and unnecessary details. Despite its potential, these missing elements may deter readers from engaging with the tale at this time. Thank you for providing an honest review.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Huini Hellen »

This book utilises the concept of multiverses in creating a different world where Kai has to feature in. Thank you for your thorough review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Dan Polumbric
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-polumbric.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Dan Polumbric »

It was a bit unusual to see a book review garner 3/5 while being described as edited well. To author's credit, they did state their fair warning of the book's elements broken down by %. There were about 10 or so categories. This is a fantasy novel, written in the style of an RPG video game. We should acknowledge that we will from time-to time run into novels that are written for a target readership different from ourselves. Nevertheless, thank you for an honest review.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 354

Post by Tars »

I love unexpected travel to another world scenarios, because it has always fascinated me to study the reactions of individuals put in unusual circumstances from the psychological point. To see a practical man from earth in a world of magic certainly has an interesting twist and I gladly accept your gift of free book! Congratulations on BOTD!
Kigen Valarie
Favorite Author: Amy K Collier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kigen-valarie.html
Latest Review: The Overwhelming Love Of God Amidst Silent Screams In 12Ways by Janelle Sealy-Francis
fav_author_id: 281506
2024 Reading Goal: 240
2024 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by Kigen Valarie »

I enjoy sci-fi action books but not one's that lie too much on the videography side. Kai must indeed be a great character and I'm certain those interested in this genre will find the book interesting. Congratulations.
Life will go whichever way. Changing it is up to a very powerful force :|
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Dracula's Guest by Amaya Tenshi

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Writing a good otherworld science fiction takes robust skills and imagination and the author, Kyle, has crafted one with several unique elements. Congrats on being BOTD.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

A Tome of Order Magic by Kyle is a science fiction novel about Kain, who was transported to another world. He will have to use his training to control magic and perform the job he was assigned by the archmage. The use of "mana" as the energy behind the magic and the video game format will interest many readers. I'll skip this book for now. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Swathi Ranjith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Swathi Ranjith »

Thank you for taking your time to genuinely address this book and writing this review so that people like us can understand the contents of this book and if it's a book worth reading. I truly appreciate it, and seeing as how you've described it, I certainly will give the book a try

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”