Official Review: Demonslayer by Ian P. Eviston

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: The Afterlife Experience by Bud Megargee

Re: Official Review: Demonslayer by Ian P. Eviston

Post by Zainab Wasif »

A fast-paced novel set in a world of magic and demons. The book's intriguing premise and action-packed narrative, along with its multiple character perspectives, make it an engaging read.
mrlefty0706
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: What If They Knew
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 71%

Post by mrlefty0706 »

“Demonslayer” by Ian P. Eviston takes place in a world that has aethers, magic and demons. The demons and the humans have a treaty but many of the demons are not happy with it. The demons feed off of the aether of humans. There are synthetic aether substitutes but not enough to feed all of the demons. They are on the brink of a rebellion and humans are at risk. Emily and Spirit live in the poor part of town and grew up without their parents who were taken from them at an early age. Emily is dying from leukemia and Spirit is dead set on finding a cure for her. Spirit competes in a tournament where the loser has his body parts fed to cannibals so he cannot afford to lose. He battles an undefeated champion and something changes within him that will change his life forever. This is a very interesting story but the shift in perspectives from one character to another is confusing and requires rereading sections to figure it out. Read the book to learn the outcome.
Kanishka Banga
Favorite Book: Crazy Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanishka-banga.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Kanishka Banga »

The narrative is filled with suspense and intrigue, with the added tension of impending monstrosities outside the city walls. Eviston's storytelling keeps readers engaged, making "Demonslayer" a thrilling and emotionally resonant read that explores themes of sacrifice, family, and self-discovery.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

The metaphor of different peoples trying to live together in a peace that's far from easy is interesting. The "other" gets demonized to make it easier to fight them but they're more similar to us - whoever "us" is - than we want to see. I hope the author did at least proper proofreading to prevent distractions from reading what seems like an engaging novel. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Nisha DSouza
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Demonslayer by Ian Eviston is a story about two siblings, Spirit and Emily, who are surviving in Crossus, a poor section of the town. Since the time Crossus Militia arrested their parents, Emily has been taking care of Spirit. Will he decipher what his mother meant to say just before her arrest? Will he be able to save his dying sister? And what are the demons planning to do to get the human aether to save their race? Your review was immensely intriguing, and I had many questions that made me want to read the book soon. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Victoria Zoe
Currently Reading: The Divine Memoir
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-zoe.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Victoria Zoe »

This book gives an analysis of demons having families among others. This book will be enjoyable to lovers of this story. Congrats on the BOTD and a satisfactory review.
Abhilasha Abhi
Currently Reading: The Frazzled Parent
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhilasha-abhi.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Abhilasha Abhi »

The world of Ian P. Eviston's novel Demonslayer is one of magic, demons. The book seems intriguing with its multifaceted portrayal of the monsters. Even though the review is thorough and well-explained, I don't like books about demons.Thanks for a thoughtful review.Regards to the author on BOTD.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Not my kind of read, but I enjoyed every bit of this sombre but hilarious book. The idea of demons and humans coexisting in harmony made it quite engaging. Demons are a scary lot but the writer made this humorous and exciting by making demons have families. Unfortunately I disagree with you on the transitions, I totally enjoyed every one of them. I agree with you though on the errors which made reading the book distracting. Koodos to you for an excellent review. Frankly, I couldn't have handled this any better.
Ochieng Omuodo
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

The spirit of the book, if you will forgive the pun, is noble and your review highlights that. Pity about the lack of professionalism on the production side; certainly not worth the ‘paper’ its written on.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I am fascinated by a world where magic, demons, and aether are commonplace. I am intrigued by the tentative treaty between humans and demons. I am interested in learning if Spirit would be able to help Emily treat her leukemia by making money from participating in a tournament.
Ram Uday Mahajan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ram-uday-mahajan.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Ram Uday Mahajan »

Great review of "Demonslayer" by Ian P. Eviston! Your detailed insights into the story's strengths and areas for improvement are valuable. It's clear that you appreciate the world-building and character diversity, despite the need for better editing and smoother perspective transitions. Your thoughtful critique will surely help both the author and potential readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
Jnapika D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnapika-d.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jnapika D »

The plot and supernatural elements seem interesting. I would like to know more about what happened to the demons and the human peace treaty.
Congratulations on BOTD!!
Juliet Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-blessing.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Juliet Blessing »

This is a well detailed review. I love how you have presented the storyline in a way that just gives enough to have me looking for the book. This is an unexplored genre for me and I'm definitely reading this book. I'm intrigued to know whether demons and humans can actually coexist.

Code: Select all

Juliet_Blessing
Catalina Isabel
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

This book seems intriguing and I would read it if it wasn't for the many errors. The plot and action are great. Thanks for a great review and congrats to the author on BOTD! 😊
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This is a sci-fi book that narrates the battle that occurs between humans and demons. The story talks about how the demons and humans have a tentative treaty, but not all the demons are happy with it which later leads to a battle between them. The story is interesting to read without being bored and the characters are well-developed. Nice review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”