Review of 2084

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Re: Review of 2084

Post by Blessing E »

Dark science fiction novel. Definitely sounds like what I'll find interesting. Also, the storyline as described in the review piques my interest. Congratulations on the book of the day.
Missing Person
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-zambarakji.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Missing Person »

I found 2084's plot unbelievable and painfully confusing. I hated the way the Model 60s, which I think are cyborgs, were committing suicide for no apparent reason at the start of the story. The fact that the WAP wasted its resources creating cyborgs that can commit suicide made me think that the programmers at the World Peace Authority were incredibly incompetent for no logical reason. If the explanation for behavior of the cyborgs is explained in future chapters then the story is poorly structured. I can't be bothered to read more than one chapter of this ridiculous story to find out why these cyborgs are committing suicide.

If the World Peace Authority controls the entire world then why can't it find competent software developers? And why would the WAP build a line of cyborgs called the Model 60 to then have some of these Model 60s do manual labor jobs such as repairing damaged electrical wires that require no human emotions whatsoever? It would have made more sense if some cyborgs had no emotions. But then why create cyborgs, and give them emotions and a vulnerable body when emotionless robotic hands and frames held up on wheels would be better suited for complex manual labor jobs? If the job of an electrician is so complex that a cyborg would do a better job than a regular human at a more affordable production cost, then it would make sense to replace normal humans with cyborgs. But without such an explanation the plot feels ridiculously contrived for the sake of having some melodrama in the story.

But affordability cannot be a factor in the WAP's decision to create the Model 60 cyborgs, because it is not a private company that can go bankrupt. It is a government body that issues the world's currency and, therefore, can never go bankrupt. If there is a convincing reason as to why the WPA needs to use cyborgs instead of Nats (regular humans) for certain jobs, then Peterson should have shown us why the WPA was using cyborgs at the start of the story.
Abdulrahman Alidriga
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: The Raven Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by Abdulrahman Alidriga »

It has an interesting storyline .I real like sci-fi and especially alternative futures, but there’s something special about this one. I would have loved to follow it Thank you for the wonderful review!.
Joshua Sawders
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Joshua Sawders »

Well, darlin', based on this here review, it looks like 2084: Book One: 2069 is quite the mind-bending ride. This sci-fi tale introduces us to a likable yet psychotic protagonist, Dune, who aims to destroy the current state of things. With elements reminiscent of classics like 1984 and The Giver, the author throws in dark twists and explores future changes in morality. Now, there's definitely some trigger warnings for nudity and disturbing subjects, so it's strictly for adult readers. But if you're into thought-provoking, dark sci-fi with questionable characters, this book seems right up your alley. Y'all might just enjoy the rich, surreal experience it offers. Richly detailed world-building, felt immersive.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”